Tunze & Hydor Koralia's, my views ;)

Reaction score
Ok firstly I want everyone to know this thread is just my opinion on the two products, and which suites my tank best. Also remember the two products are not of the same spec (the Tunze is much more powerful in terms of l/h, so for an accurate comparison one should compare the Tunze 6025 with the Hydor Koralia 1 or 2)

Products in question: Tunze Nanostream 6025 (2500l/h) & Hydor Koralia Nano (1000l/h). I found the tunze pumped an incredibly strong flow in the 24G JBJ Nano Cube, so much so that my frogspawn and a few other softies didn't like it to much. The pump says its from 40 - 200l aquariums, I just found it gave an "washing machine" effect in my 24G, however in a larger aquarium this piece of kit is fantastic!

So I wanted a more gentle, dispersed flow. So I bought 2 Hydor Koralia Nano's (1000l/h) - much softer flow, but with the 2 I felt like I could get more dispersed flow. It appears MUCH gentler than the tunze, as these pumps are rated for a smaller aquarium and give a much wider flow.

Size comparison:
DSC01632.jpg

Placement of the Koralias in my nano
DSC01637.jpg

I know now there are 2 pumps vs 1, and some people hate the look of equipment in a tank, but I don't mind the look and my midas blenny loves perching on the powerheads ;)
DSC01642.jpg

Video of the flow: (The noise is from my chiller, removed the front to clean it!)
th_FTS.jpg

My clowns swimming in the flow:
th_MOV01640.jpg

Final thoughts:
Both are fantastic products, if I had a larger aquarium the Tunze would be great (or I could look at the Koralia 1 or 2), however in my 24G JBJ Nano I think the smaller pumps are better suited. Once again this is just my opinion... take it or leave it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, thanks Matt :thumbup:

Do you use a controller at all or are the pumps on all the time?

Seeing as they output only 1000l/h I didn't opt for a controller ;)

Thanks Matt, an insightful and unbiased comparrison ;)

thanks dude!
Galibore-does one need to put your pumps on controlers or time switches?
My powerheads run 24/7 in a year

lanzo - for larger systems yes because you can get real wave action, it's not done so much on smaller systems and many pumps aren't made to be switched on and off like that

GREAT nano. Great review.
Do you have any other stats ie power consumption that you could use. Would love to see this thread updated and contributions from others.

Nice to see you fond something that works for you. Just one question. What size are the front grids, if you have a power failure will a fish not be able to get in there?

sunburst: They output 1000l/h at 3.5W, pretty energy efficient ;) The Tunze output 2500l/h at 6W, which is even better!

Alfie: the front grids are divided up into wedge shapes, with the base being just under a cm, my little clowns will not be able to swim through the grid

Nice review Matt, the tunze powerheads are quite renowned for a very powerful flow, they are also well made and built to last, the hydors are much more suitable for nanos, but a slightly larger tank will benefit by the tunze, so keep it for your upgrade;)

Well done you Matt, really nice review, kudos for that:thumbup:

Thanks for this review matt. It shed some light on what I wanted to know. I just want to know where you bought the Koralia's from and for how much? Do you still have them?

Thanks for this review matt. It shed some light on what I wanted to know. I just want to know where you bought the Koralia's from and for how much? Do you still have them?

I have 2 Koralia's. i am contemplating selling. Ps in a debate about it right now.
o and you can only get them from overseas. got mine from the uk

Heard a rumor that these pumps may be available locally in the near future.

I have 2 Koralia's. i am contemplating selling. Ps in a debate about it right now.
o and you can only get them from overseas. got mine from the uk
Ahoy Mike, let me know what you decide and $$ then we'll take it from there. I asume they're exactly the same?

Back
Top Bottom