Tunze ATU design flaws

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Furbz, 4 Jul 2014.

1. Furbz

Furbz

So,

this last weekend the ever present Tunze ATU design flaws finally got the better of me.
    for those of you who are unaware of these flaw i'll explain.
    if the power trips. the Tunze ATU unit will turn on the ATU pump for 10 seconds (god only knows why).
    the second flaw is that the pump is not self priming.

anyway, heres my story.

i was away for the weekend. sadly while i was away our area was affected by intermittent power issues. ie, the power would come on, then go off, then on, then off etc...
    this affected the area according to my neighbour for most of the day.

now obviously this coupled with the first flaw lead to my entire water reservoir being dumped into my tank...
    when i got home i check the tank and nearly died at how high the water level was in my sump! my salt level was at 1.020. and i had lost a turbo snail and all 3 of my cleaner shrimp.

The Tunze ATU is a lovely unit.
    but the fact that the pump is not self priming and that is turns the pump on each time the power is turned on is leading me to rethink tunze as my go to ATU.
    maybe in more stable environments its ok, but in RSA with eishkom, not a wise idea.

does anyone know of a different high end brand without these inherent issues?

I hate that i cannot trust my ATU anymore. i panic now that while i am work the same power cuts occur and i loose more livestock. :(:(:(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Yes I have noticed the same thing...
    Noe you making me also think of getting another ATU system..lol

4. hansiemyburgh

hansiemyburgh

I have the Reef Octopus ATU will test mine tonight.

5. Wizard$

Wizard$

You can try adjusting the potentiometer to reduce the impact? Intermittent electrical supply is not really considered into any electrical device....

6. Marcd50

Marcd50

You could get a small UPS to connect the atu too

7. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

Tunze is a brand we love! Our pico 12v ups will solve this problem

8. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

It's still working round an obvious issue with the tunze design...

9. Shepherd1

Shepherd1

What is the cost for this 12v ups?

10. Andre@ReefAquatics

Our 20Watt/Hour unit is R350. For example run 12v device at 3 watt device for about 7 hours without power also has a seamless switch over to DC.

Look at your equipment and Watts=Volts x Amps

11. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Sorry André, dont mean to bomb in here and mess up a potential sale...those baby ups units are life savers...
    However, to have to fork out a small fortune for a reputable brands atu, then having to fork out more for something to cover for its design flaw, is not really acceptable.
    My atu cost me R245, diy cheapy and has lasted me for five years, without jamming once or flooding my floor or dumping excessive kalk in my tank or letting a return pump run dry.

I would rather advise the customer to look at one of your new "poor man's" atu units and ditch the tunze until such time as eish skom sorts out their issues.... Don't hold your breath.....

12. Andre@ReefAquatics

@irie ivan , in this case it was not a matter of making a sale, but more I see a reefer in despair, worried about flooding his floors again. He already has forked our some $$$ on a high end piece of kit but still have concerns.

I tried to help by offering a solution to his newly uncovered dilemma he faces.

I agree with your comments, but I thought I'd offer him a solution to give him some peace of mind while away.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I've been using the Tunze nano Osmolator with no issues since October last year.

14. Anita

Anita Sponsor

We are very sorry to hear about your problem with the ATU, we would like to resolve your problem as the agents of TUNZE in this country, because this ATU is the best.

1. Did you buy it from us (I don't recognise your avatar) ? If not, who did you buy it from, so we can determine whether it is under guarantee.
    2. How big is your reservoir? and how big is the chamber that is being filled by the ATU unit?
    3. Does this happen to your system often? Or is this the first time?
    4. The fact that the pump is not a self-priming pump, should not come into the equation as it is sold as a non-priming pump. You can, however, buy a switch socket outlet and attach any self-priming 230v pump to the unit.
    5. The 12v pump is a safety measure so that you do not get shocked if things go wrong with the pump.
    6. The ATU unit re sets itself every time there is a power failure, which in itself is a safety measure.

Due to the fact that TUNZE have sold thousands of these units without a problem, we are concerned that there might be something wrong with the unit itself or some other problem being the major cause.

It is important to us to sort the problem out for you, if we can.
    Cheers George

15. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

I appreciate the response George/Anita,

the power turning on and off constantly brought out the worst in a otherwise reliable system.
    i know that this problem is not due to a faulty unit, but rather a RSA power issue that exposes the a underlying design issue with the Tunze unit.

Viva Eishkom.

1. Did you buy it from us (I don't recognise your avatar) ? If not, who did you buy it from, so we can determine whether it is under guarantee.
    i however purchased the unit 2nd hand from Jacques(ladybrand) who bought it directly from you. It is my understanding that guarantees/warrantees to not pass on to the second owner. it is also my belief that the unit is slightly over a year old now. so likely out of the warranty period.

2. How big is your reservoir? and how big is the chamber that is being filled by the ATU unit?
    I was unlucky, i planned to be away and linked in a barrel to help. Normal total volume is 35L. add the extra barrel and you get 60L...
    the area chamber size is i guess 20L large but has never been a problem in the past.

3. Does this happen to your system often? Or is this the first time?
    No, this is a first. but i attribute it the problem to eishkom.

4. The fact that the pump is not a self-priming pump, should not come into the equation as it is sold as a non-priming pump. You can, however, buy a switch socket outlet and attach any self-priming 230v pump to the unit.
    better idea, go to outdoorwarehouse. buy a camping shower and use that pump. (self priming 12v pump).

5. The 12v pump is a safety measure so that you do not get shocked if things go wrong with the pump.
    all ok with that!

6. The ATU unit re sets itself every time there is a power failure, which in itself is a safety measure.
    this is the "feature" that was my tanks downfall. if eishkom cut and restart the power multiple times the tunze regardless of if the sensor is underwater turns the pump on for 10 seconds.

i really appreciate the offer to help.

Last edited: 8 Jul 2014
  16. Anita

Anita Sponsor

I find this strange as the ATU has a safety feature, whereby, if the level reaches a certain point, it would land up in error with an alarm sounding and no more water being pumped into the system, irrespective of the on/off electricity as the water level would have reached its maximum point. There is an additional float switch which ensures this happens. Perhaps there is something else wrong.
    Regards George

17. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

ah i see what you are saying

i will check after work today and revert back here.

18. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

anita is correct with this, I tested this when I got my unit.

Recent Posts