Tunze and a Boyu TL550

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by MaximusZA, 25 Jun 2013.

1. MaximusZA

MaximusZA

hi guys,

I am looking for some advice, I will be starting up a Boyu TL550 and from what I have read the stock skimmer has got very mixed reviews. So i am looking to replace it with a tunze DOC 9004, but i wanted to know if it would fit in the compartments in the back of the Boyu with the lid closed. I am not looking to run a sump on the boyu, well not yet anyway. and the tunze has gotten some good reviews.

I also need a wave maker and was looking at the tunze 6045 nanostreams, would one be enough or would i need 2?

thanks guys in advance for the help!

Maximus

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Looks like the skimmer might fit, read the second post on this thread - Boyu 550 skimmer? - UltimateReef.com
    What about maybe 2 of the 6025's? Two pumps are always better than one as they will help to create random flow in the tank.

4. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I think the Doc 9004 might fit, I have the 9002, its fits perfectly but the skimmer cup is too big for the hood and it doesnt close. the 9004 has a different design and the skimmer cup is square. look at this link -

Ill also go for two of the Nanostreams -creates nice random flow. I have two nano streams in mine and I am happy with the flow.check out my thread as I have the e tunze skimmer/flow pumps in my TL 550.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  5. MaximusZA

MaximusZA Thread Starter

thanks guys,
    @Charl_Stanhope you Boyu is beautiful!! if you dont mind me asking, how did you fit the LED's, from the pics i found you still had the lid?

edit: nevermind I found the page :p how difficult was it to add the LEDs? it looks like it was a mission? my DIY skills are terrible but i would love LED's on the Boyu.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

7. Mewik

Mewik

I have the little 300mm 56w unit from Reef Aquatics and it could fit in the hs60 lid and still have room for some fans. Not sure about the tl550 hood but I reckon you could make it fit with some work.

8. MaximusZA

MaximusZA Thread Starter

Hi guys,

thanks so much for all the help so far. I have another question about filter material. I have purchased the Tunze and should get it early next week. So i was thinking first compartment filter floss and the sponge. 2nd compartment the skimmer, the 3rd compartment is where I have no idea. was thinking phosgaurd and purigen and maybe carbon and last compartment the heater and return. I know a sump is a better way to go but I unfortunately dont have the space for it at the moment. what do you guys think? any other recommendations welcome.

thanks guys!

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

extra maintenance, but very effective. Your choice.

10. MaximusZA

MaximusZA Thread Starter

Yup I am sticking to that for the first compartment. but would the purigen, phosgaurd and carbon work for the 3rd? should i get some sort of biofiltration there? ie. live rock or cheato?

11. Zandy

Zandy

@MaximusZA keeping cheato in the back compartment with the Boyo will not work unless you have a source of light and some tumbling action. I would suggest to stick to the purigen and perhaps there is already a nano version for the biocubes refer to @dallas to confirm.

12. MaximusZA

MaximusZA Thread Starter

I do remembering you mentioned that to me now. Sorry memory of a siv
    thanks @Zandy

And the Phosguard?

13. mandarinman

mandarinman

Remove the really thin plastic layer behind the filtration section of tl550 and put cheap chinese led strip behind it and you can put chaeto in. Just rinse chaeto once a week
    Must say that it is easier to run purigen and gfo

14. Zandy

Zandy

You will need some sort of phosphates to start off with, and i would rather look at perhaps a nano version of the orca biocubes as a media instead of phosguard. I know from PERSONAL (note please: personal) experience that some of my pin cusions did not like the phosguard. Speak to @dallasg and confirm if there is a nano version for biocubes been released yet (it was in the pipeline last i checked)

15. MaximusZA

MaximusZA Thread Starter

sorry for the ignorance what is GFO?

16. Zandy

Zandy

it's Granular Ferric Oxide. It's an iron based phosphate remover example :RowaPhos

17. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

as mentioned above, Easier to run seachem purigen and seachem phosgaurd

18. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Ive been running purigen/phosgaurd combo for a couple of years and works great. I have tried the cubes with the bomb method but the salt creep is hectic on the TL550. Im busy making a little cover from pvc and then I am going to give "the bomb" another try.

I would not put the heater in the last compartment(this is from the right) as the water level there fluctuates and might expose your heater. Rather remove the big sponge and replace it with floss which you rinse after 3 days and replace once a week. Works well. If you remove the sponge, you can add your heater in the first compartment and the water there stays the same. You will also have a bit more flow through your media by removing the sponge. I also have my phosgaurd/purigen and carbon on a diy media rack in the first compartment.

in the second chamber you can have your skimmer, 3rd chamber you can have chaeto, I have done so very successfully .

If you want to, remove the uv and connect the return pump, directly to the spraybar. If you want to, you can even add a small additional return pump which pumps water from the last chamber to the first. This way you have more flow through your media.

This works for me, but every tank is different. This is just my 2c.

19. MaximusZA

MaximusZA Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help guys! now i am even more confused :eek: so many different options and opinions, research time! :peroni:

thanks again folks!

Recent Posts