Tubeworms

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by zaShadow, 17 Apr 2009.

1. zaShadow

zaShadow

I recently bought a VERY live piece of LR with a few tubeworms and bubble thingies on.
    My tank is very new and I am still waiting for it to settle. At this moment I can see alot of live, swimming speckles in the water. I only have one fish in at the moment (Maroon Clown).

1. The tubeworms are replicating like crazy, and at this point white spirally speckles are forming on all the glass panels.

Should I be concerned that an outbreak is starting?

Here are photos of what I have (don't have the best cam phone):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speckles like these are forming all over my glass panels (everywhere):

[​IMG]

2. the bubble thingies (no idea what they are called) used to be bigger and very clear. They are now becoming smaller and yellowish. Is there something wrong with my water conditions?

I hope it is visible in this pic:

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi,

nope i wouldnt worried, tube worms are very beneficial and nice to have, the ones with white calcerferous tubes are mini coco-worms, very nice and tank is doing well with all the life.

4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

do you have a sump???

tube worms in a sump are great as extra filters .... in a DT i personally would not like them on the glass .... maybe sump the rock to propogate the worms in your sump?

as for your other Q, not sure, how old is the tank ??

5. crispin

crispin

well as the tank is cycling, these life forms are a good indication that water parameters are starting to get into sync. The feather dusters (what you call tube worms) are great to have. The fact that they are reproducing is a healthy sign. If them getting onto the glass is bothering you, a simple blade used for scraping aglgae will remove them. Having them populate the LR is a good sign. I like them, but thats just me.

As to the othe fellas, they look like sea squirts to me. Again good filtration and nice liufe to have in the tank. they normally prefer areas a lower light intensity, but they will sort themselves out as to where to live.

in all i wouldnt worry at ALL with these life forms, they all good :)

NOTE though, many fish will feed off these once you place them in your tank. For now, let them breed :)

Although introducing a maroon clown as your first fish seems a little silly, as they are aggressive and will set up teritory. You may have hassels later on...

6. zaShadow

zaShadow Thread Starter

I have a DSB, but I do not have any light on it yet.

I switch the skimmer off for a day or so from time to time so that the life in the water can get to the sump and DSB.

I can move this piece of LR to the sump and/or DSB, but I assume I would have to get a light there first, right?

The tank is still very new, I think I going on my fourth month. I have VERY little in it at the moment. Still trying to get all the equipment together. I don't have power heads yet and I don't have the right lights. I try and get one big thing a month to ensure I buy the best I can buy:

[​IMG]

So, for now I focus on a piece of LR a month to get the cycle going so long.

My salinity is good and my temperature is good. I haven't tested the ph, Nitrates or Nitrites yet. I only have a test kit for my koi pond, will this also work on marine water?

7. zaShadow

zaShadow Thread Starter

Cool, thanks guys, was hoping it is all good. But wanted to make sure. Cannot assume anything at this point.

Would it help if I remove the clown (move it to DSB for a month or so) when I introduce new fish?

8. crispin

crispin

ok, doing slowly and building up equimpent is a good way to go:) I would try get some power heads to prevent detritus forming, but you only need to worry about that when you have more LR in there.

I would try get more LR in there so it can cycle and you get over the most of the curing process at once, rather than adding small pieces at a time and having lots of mini cycles. look in the classifieds section i am sure i saw some LR for sale.

how about a pic of the sump?

what lights do you have (even if they are wrong) and what are u planning to keep?

id leave the lr in display tank for now :)

9. crispin

crispin

Perhaps, but i hadnt realised you had so little LR in at the mo. I am sure you will be looking at equipment and LR before you get more fish, so lets wait a while before you have to cross that bridge :)

10. nico.m.ferreira

nico.m.ferreira

Good day.

Do not be alarmed by the amount the tube worms are reprodusing, it shows you that the tank is healthy and doing good.:thumbup:
    As for the tiny litle specs it falls under the erpulidae family and is basicly a "mini" type of tube worm more spesificaly Salmacina sp.
    They are very atractive and i would not mind having some of them.
    They can become a problem by blocking things like your filter and so on but they can very easily be controled by simpily scraping them off were you do not want them.

Regards Nico Ferreira.;)

11. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

I would suggest getting a sun sun powerhead for your DT now...... they are cheap, like R150 ..... you need some flow in that DT ..... Your logic about getting the best equip is great ...... but you have to have flow..... get a sun sun now and then get the best pumps later on !!

do you have a heater ?

12. zaShadow

zaShadow Thread Starter

I have a little bit of a 'lappieskombers' for my sump/DSB.

Unfortunately my cabinet has a split bottom piece and I had to split my sump in two. I am very close to remove the middle piece and build one big sump+DSB, but until I get there this is what I have:

[​IMG]

and since this photos were taken I added a new Reaf Octopus in sump skimmer:

[​IMG]

Until I have one unit I am forced to check the siphon at least once a week. Never had any problem yet, but rather safe than sorry.

At the moment I have a single ballast with one small 4ft tropical tank tube as my light. As I am not planning to keep anything until I have the right lights, this is better than total darkness.

I have calculated that I will need 360W of light to keep corals (DT = 400L). I want a full reef tank and want to be able to keep anything. But I think I will only go for tubes (not metal halide lamps - too much heat and cost), is that OK?

So, I will get the whole shebang for a proper and lively reef tank, but only in two or three months time. Until then I am happy to stare at a fishless, corelless tank to ensure when and what I get is best I can get

13. zaShadow

zaShadow Thread Starter

Ok, I will get a cheap option until I get what I want.

I want something that can be controlled by a controller box to recreate proper sea currents. But I'll wait a little longer then, and get something now.

Ok.
    At the moment I have a 3000L/h return pump that is moving the water some. But agreed, I'll get a temp option for better movement.

Not yet. Will also get end of month. Until now the temp stayed in good levels naturally, but as we approach winter it is one of my priorities.

14. FransSny

FransSny

zaShadow, glad to see you taking it slow. just my 2C on your lights

I take the "tropical light" you are talking about is actually a light for FW. if so be carefull, i ran one for a week or two as an emergency in my one tank....massive cayno bacteria outbreak, think it has something to do with the lightspectrum. I would look at changing that as a priority aswell

And yes , you can go for T5's only...MH looks nice though and has lots of benifits but also lots of heat ! by the looks it seems you have the same tank as me (closed canopy) going to be very difficult to properly / neatly get MH in there. A lot will depend on what you ultimately want to keep though

good luck ....i see you are in centurion, if you want to caome have a look at mine feel free to pm me

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Why not put a small power head into the first chamber of the second sump, one with a venturi inlet. Connect the flexible pipe to that. Then it will outomatically keep your syphon, even if the power went out.

16. zaShadow

zaShadow Thread Starter

'venturi inlet'? would that be a pipe with either an air hole, or a pipe stopping at the lowest water level? (I am learning a lot)

I have considered to use a second return pump instead of the siphon (in the first tank). But thought my biggest problem then would be that the one might run faster than the other and I will flood my cabinet (and the floor).

My problem with that is that I thought I would then need to have an overflow switch on the DSB side to stop the first return pump once the second tank gets too full. A second overflow switch if the second tank gets too empty, to stop the return pump to the DT. AND a third overflow switch to stop the second pump if the first sump tank gets too full (so the first pump can catch up).

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Nope, just a standard powerhead with suction at the bottom on blow pipe out to the side. And on the out it got a small upright where you can put the airline tube. The powerhead can be in either sump. Will just give you more circular flow. But the syphon will be the part you exploit.

Recent Posts