Tubeworm of some sort?

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by BParker, 16 Jul 2013.

1. BParker

BParker

I have these growing all over my live rock. Been clearing them off with a scraper where possible. They are hard calcified tubes and often start off in a 'swirl' shape at the base. Any idea what they are? Problematic or not?

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quintin

Quintin

They are fine and not a problem.
    They are tiny hard shelled fan worms and a harmless fiter feeder. They are a sign that things are going well and your system is maturing. You will see a spike in the population and then it will dwindle. If they bug you on the glass you can scrape them off with a razor blade or a good mag scraper.

The only problem they cause is that they also will grow inside pumps, where their shells can damage impellors, so pumps should be cleaned periodically to remove them.

4. BParker

BParker Thread Starter

This is great news!!

Definitely a spike in population this past month in my TL450. Any idea how long before I see a decline?

Thanks

5. Skattejag

Skattejag

I believe that the reason why they would decline is due to the lack of food for these filter-feeders: Bacterial aggregates (clumps) and phytoplankton, if the water parameters are within specification and they are not being eaten. I have started a thread about culturing phytoplankton and other zooplankton if you are interested: Phytoplankton cultures/ media / equipment
    (Phytoplankton cultures/ media / equipment - Marine Aquariums South Africa). I suggest that you try and do a bit more research on this topic. See the following link for more info: Innovative Marine Aquaculture

Recent Posts