Urgent help needed tube worm out of tube

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Barlan, 26 Aug 2012.

1. Barlan

Barlan

hi guys

so i have a problem, yet another.. i have a tube worm, had it for a few weeks. we recently got a jumping bean, i noticed it was pecking at the tube's crown, so my poor tube worm had a messed up crown, i was expecting it to lose the rest of the crown due to stress, but i think it might of been eaten...

my tube worm still kinda came out so i target fed it with phytoplancton.

last night we noticed that the worm started to come out partially, like about 2 cm.... so i checked the salinity, it was at 1.028 and we usually keep it at 1.027. so i isolated it under the top of a 2l coke bottle and injected phytoplankton, zooplanton, garlic and cyclop eeze into the water to "force feed" it, just in case it been starving.

this morning i took the coke bottle off to get fresh water in and it came out its tube completely. so now its floating around my tank along the substrate.

my question here is, how do i know if its dead? it seems to be alive, still elongates a little, but i'm concerned about it floating around my tank.

what do i do? please help! do i isolate it again? i do just leave it?

i'm assuming the high salinity made it come out in the first place, but now i dont know what to do...

any advise will be appreciated!

thanks all.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I'd be worried about the angel pecking it. Once fish get a taste for something they generally don't leave it alone. You might have to choose between the fish and the worm.
    Tube worms can regroup new tubes. If you leave it to settle in a calm spot in your tank it should attach and make a new tube.
    A change in specific gravity from 1.027 to 1.028 probably isn't going to cause it to leave its tube.

What do you mean when you say you isolated it in the coke bottle, we're there holes in the bottle to allow water in?

4. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

i neglected to put holes in as it was my first time isolating anything. also i wanted to make sure that no food escaped. my plan was to put 2 holes in at the bottom for in and our flow, since the food generally accumulates at the top for some odd reason. but since he's out and about now, i cant do that...

did i suffocate him or something like that? there was obv no flow at all since it was a closed system, so to speak.

he's now in the middle of the tank, next to the rock, where the flow is really low. i guess i'm gonna have to let him be and see?

something i neglected to mention was the isolation was also because of our sun coral that hasnt opened up properly.. in isolation he poofed up alot more than he has in a while (had him for 2 weeks now) but he hasnt protruded his tentacles. i'll attach some pics of both. moving the sun to a shady spot made him open up more, but still no tentacles and then he kinda deflates like a balloon...

the pic with the sun coral has the old tube next to it.

the pic with the worm has my jumping bean, who photo bombed the pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

apologies about the quality of the 2nd pic, zoom on my phone loses pic quality.

6. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

edit, he's no longer by the rock, still floating around the tank.

how will i know if he has died?

7. 459b

Not putting holes in the bottle is probably what caused it to leave its tube. Lack of flow would have meant little oxygen, which would have hae been compounded by adding food to the bottle.
    Check if the tube worn is still alive.
    Sun corals generally only open up their tentacles at night or when feeding. It looks healthy enough in the pic. Don't keep it isolated in the bottle overnight, rather kep it in there just along as it needs to open its tentacles and feed.

8. 459b

Touch it and see if it moves at all. Or take it out the tank and smell it.

9. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

Thanks fro your help, greatly appreciated. Will keep you updated

10. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

update: so unfortunately, the worm has disappeared, either it died and has been eaten by my hermits - they are really quick on the money when there's something that has died - or i buried it even more when trying to find it in the substrate.

either way i dont see it so i have to assume its gone.

:(

but thanks all for all your input

Recent Posts