Tube worm and blue cheek goby

Reaction score
I bought a new tube worm yesterday and got two little ones' with that spawned in the lfs's tank.

I placed the tube worm on the sand and covered it with it. I placed the two small worms on opposite sides of the big one. Within a couple of minutes the one small one disappeared. I thought it buried itself, but after sifting the sand, I found no trace of it.

Later I noticed the blue cheek goby (fair sized) eat the other small tube worm! Swallowed it whole. He then continued to bite onto the tube of the big one and shake it around - like a Jack Russel with a toy!

Question 1: Is this normal for this to happen?
Question 2: Should the tube worm be buried in the sand or can I glue to a rock or place a rock on top of the tube in order to promote harmony in my tank? What is best suited for the tube worm, sand or rock?

Thanks for your inputs.

Doubt if tank is too small. The tube worm hasn't come out at all yet. How long does it usually take to acclimitise?

Is it a cerianthus that you are talking about?

Hi @RiaanP, no it is the feather duster (Sabellidae). I haven't seen it come out at all yet.

The bit that was buried in the substrate in the shop is under my sand and the brown tube (about 12 cm) is standing upright. I have placed a rock on the sand so the sand sifter can't move it anymore, but not sure if this will still irritate the worm and that it should rather be moved to a rock?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom