Tube anemone questions

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by TheresaC, 13 Apr 2014.

1. TheresaC

TheresaC

Hi,

I have had my tube anemone for about 7 months now and it has the most beautiful purple, orange and green colours. It opens every day and being a night time feeder it's even bigger and badder after lights out.

I have a 60x60 cube and have lot's of softies and lps. Everyting grows bigger which is great but I'm afraid the nennie might sting my mushrooms or bubble coral at night when fully open...

How powerfull is the sting of a tube anemone and is there something I can do tonstill keep it in my tank but without it touching the other corals. In other words, how do I isolate it and what is a safe distance?

If I can't find a solution I'm going to have to sell him and that will be so sad...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seabass

Seabass

Like you say it must be kept far from other corals. I have two, both placed on the side of the tank. One on the right I have no problems with as it is not near any corals. Only has rock next to it. So I guess you can isolate it within a rock structure and keep corals away from it.

The one I have on the left of the tank keeps on destroying my candy cane heads. So tube anemone 1 candy cane 0.

Halga had the same problem with hers getting too big and had to sell it.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Tube anemones do have a powerful sting. And their sweeper arms can get rather long. I had one that was over 30cm across.

They like to have their bodies stuck within the substrate or a gap between the substrate and rock. Best is to place it so that they are net to a vertical bigger rock piece, so that you end up with nothing directly above them.

5. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

how about a pic of your tank, so we can advise where to best place the tube anemone.

6. TheresaC

TheresaC Thread Starter

Here's a pic. You will see the tube anemone is in the left front corner.

image.jpg

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

it should be fine where it is.

far away enough.

8. rickgoldwing1

rickgoldwing1

I would like to add something that I have found to be a concern if keeping a tube nemmi is do keep small fish because I noticed that my small fish like dottybacks even small firefish go missing

9. Mouse

Mouse

I assume you mean "don't" rather than do....?

Can't say I've ever had that problem with fish going missing, you sure you don't have another predator in the tank?

10. rickgoldwing1

rickgoldwing1

out

I took mine out and since I did I havnt lost any small fish so its your choice have you lost any fish since you added tube nemmie ?

11. HoboHoppy

HoboHoppy

I have the perfect spot for it. In my tank :)

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Tube anemones are less aggressive than carpet anemones. They do pack a punch, but they are surely not the heaviest hitter in your tank either. Sick, dying or dead fish can be blown against them due to your powerheads. And then they would take the opportunity to feast on them. But in general, tube anemones prefer very small pieces of food. Definitly a lot smaller pieces than bubble tips for example.

They do have long sweepers, that does limit your placement options. They prefer to have their bodies "planted" in the sand. But I found that they prefer to do the planting themselves. If you do it, they just climb out. I just cover the end tip, about 1cm with sand, and let then bury themselves.

Certain tube anemones do have chemical warfare on others. Had a nice big yellow one that lost out against a striped purple and white one. I think mixing stripped or banded species with solid colors should be avoided.

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

14. puffer fish

puffer fish

They are by far my favorite coral , and sure they do sting but they so worth it ,if sadly yours does grow to large keep me in mind i will gladly pay for him plus shipping or swop for something else or alot of frags or my shoes or my tv or my dog (he barks alot but he is nice) :tt2:

15. Mouse

Mouse

Nope, can't say I have lost any since I've had the tube nemmie. But glad you solved the problem and haven't had any more losses. :thumbup:

16. puffer fish

puffer fish

bump , anyone ever try keep a whole bunch together in the hopes of them making babies .....i know what the interweb says .....looking for something positive

17. Hails

Hails

Need two of the exact same colour. Perhaps one day ;)

18. puffer fish

puffer fish

hahahaha think you should give me yours .....too add to my collection :thumbup:

Recent Posts