Tube anemone in DSB

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by RiaanP, 9 Jan 2011.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Cerianthus ,Yellow Tube anemone.
    Living happily in my DSB

[​IMG]

side view
    [​IMG]

Fully extended.
    [​IMG]

its diameter is 200mm and the water depth 170mm. And it touches the surface.
    I target feed it 3 to 4 times a week. Flakes, pellets or small pieces of hake.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sentari

Sentari

Woah very cool. reminds me of the local nennies i saw while on holiday. Didnt want to disturb them so left them.

Where did you get it Riaan?

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

From Dorry Pets.

I saw a RED one in one of their books = on my wishlist :p

5. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

We also have quite a few different nennies locally but they have this powerfull chemical sting to them. i think I should try one in the sump. A red one.

6. RiaanP

there is a difference between a tube anemone and an anemone.

Tube anemone is not an anemone. And do not actually need light. They from the genus Cerianthus.

anemones, be it Zoa, aptasia, button pollyps, true anemones, mushrooms, ricordia's or rock anemones are all related.

This Cerianthus is "big". Diameter is 200mm and height is 150mm.

So yes, if you find a local cerianthus, yes, you can keep that in the sump. I will not keep any anemones in the sump. Only one most likely to survive is aptasia.

7. RiaanP

Anybody know where I can get a RED or ORANGE tube anemone. Not the Pink with green/yellow centre.

8. keyaam

keyaam

Perky pets has 1

9. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Thanks for mentioning it Keyaam , we had 3 x red / orange, but all sold now.
    we still have a brown and white striped tenticle with a pale purple center and a light purple tenticle with a green center.

Thanks
    David

10. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

OK That was a bit of a slowish remark but I will still be happy if the Aptaisia will stick to the sump.

11. RiaanP

I should have adsked last night. Do you get local ceriathus / tune anemones?
    And if yes, at about what depth, surely not any that is inter tidal.

I know rock anemones, and I had collected some previously. And they are around in the inter tidal zone.

12. maxisoft

maxisoft

Hi Riaan... as usual your advice is invaluable.... Recently a friend and I bought 2 tube anemones from a fellow reefer... we put them in the same bag and by the time we got home they had merged into one.... here's a pic after acclimisation......

[​IMG]

They lives as one quite happily for awhile, then they got divorced:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now they both living happily in my DT completely separated.... Is this normal?

13. RiaanP

Its is better to have them divorced. They do sting. And I believe they will bother each other, that is why they moved apart after 9 days. That body of theirs, its slimy, yucky....

And they are not really anemones that can split into two. And with anemones those 2 can live directly against each other, basically direct sisters that share same DNA. But even on same species, you cannot house anemones that is not the same DNA too close to each other.

Yours look both to be purple with green centre.

How deep is the root part into the sand? Or did you just leave it on top.

Also, beware where you put them. Mine easily extends up to 180mm when he wants to. All weekend it sulked and were pulled back under the sand. Only about 20mm of the tube stick out. Now, at the moment, its fully expanded again. so when you place it, be sure that it does not reach anything else. Also take note of the shrimps normal location. Long time ago I had a tube anemone in the centre of the tank, body part into a gap under the rocks, sticking out to the front. Fire shrimp moulted above it, fell down as it climbed out of its old skin, directly into the tube. It got out, disappeared behind the rocks, never to be seen again.

I feed mine flakes a couple of times a week, fresh hake or mussels once a week. Just drop the food over it and it will grab and pull it in. Amazing.

I got a much smaller red/orange with dark purple centre a couple of weeks ago. But so far it does not take flakes at all. Did take the mussel.

viper357 likes this.
  14. RiaanP

and yes, just like normal anemones, if they do not like their spot, they will move.

But anemones just walk away or let go.

Tube anemones climb out of that slimy weird filthy looking detritus clad tube. And they will float around, like anemones until they get sucked into a powerhead.

Been there, done that. Thats how I lost the one that took out my fireshrimp. After that incident, I moved it to another spot and it was not happy.

15. maxisoft

maxisoft

One is green, the other is purple, but both have bright green centre. Their body or tube is about 6inches long each... They are completely buried except the tenticles... So far they eat flakes, pieces of lance fish etc...

Oh, thanks for the advice bud...:thumbup:

16. RiaanP

Does yours also extend up out of the sand as mine in the first pic? Just wondering if all species of cerianthus does that.

17. maxisoft

maxisoft

Nope... Mine stay where they are, but as soon as lights out they kind of extend the whole tube out the sand. They don't have that thin tube like yours. Then in the morning they back to normal with just the tentacles extended...

Recent Posts