tsunami hit Japan

Reaction score
Hi all

News just out, a tsunami wave about 9m has just hit Japan after a 8.9 mag quake. 8 confirmed dead, but number to rise without a doubt.

It's now also moving towards Taiwan, Philippines, Hawaii, Indonesia and even Australia.

Last edited:
Thread cleaned, no more discussions about religion please.

Thanks for cleaning viper. But I fail to see how blatant racial bigotry has escaped your thread cleaning scalpel?

The nuclear disaster has been confirmed by the IAEA the level of nuclear accident at Fukushima Daiichi has been raised to 5. There are seven points on the scale. This is the same as Long Mile Island now. However local media and many opinions are that foreign media is blowing it completely out of proportion... Getting some interesting comments on the BBC feed.

Hahahaha! Woah! Thats a sparkly clean thread alright :p
Shame you mods have a hard time hey! Keeping the masadonians in check.
Unruly bunch indeed. :p

Ouch, now I must repeat the following statement:
I am sure Japan is going to learn from this and start to make use of wind power and ocean wave power which is much saver for humans. I am going to bookmark this comment and in a few years time come and comment to what they have actually done.

Why not leave this thread for Dane only, as there is not much left to be said once cleaned up;)

And yes Dean, you can clean this post up too, as it might touch on racism or be offensive:whistling:

P.S.
This is becoming like another Forum we heard of but don't speak about

Last edited:
OK, let's keep it "environmental"...

If I may be contrary, I really don't agree with the anti-nuclear histeria which is now being fuelled by the media. What happened in Japan was a really extraordinary event, and this, coupled with some human negligence/stupidity, caused this nuclear crisis. Consider the benefit of nuclear in context - even if the plant blew up and killed 1000's of people, it's past environmental benefit has already saved millions from the effects of global warming, which would have been many times worse if all the nuclear plants in the world had never existed, and their power had been generated by fossil fuel over the past 40-odd years...

Suggesting that nuclear power stations be closed to prevent future disasters, is on the same level as suggesting that everyone stop driving cars as there is a possibility that a vehicle might be involved in an accident, and the occupants might be killed :whistling: it's just not practical. Yes, one could argue that solar, wind and wave power are safer/better alternatives, but then so is having EVERYONE on this world riding bicycles instead of cars...

OK, putting on my flame suit and crawling into a hole now :whistling:

Hennie

Why not leave this thread for Dane only, as there is not much left to be said once cleaned up;)

And yes Dean, you can clean this post up too, as it might touch on racism or be offensive:whistling:

P.S.
This is becoming like another Forum we heard of but don't speak about

No need to be facetious bud, my stuff got cleaned up too. ;)

OK, let's keep it "environmental"...

If I may be contrary, I really don't agree with the anti-nuclear histeria which is now being fuelled by the media. What happened in Japan was a really extraordinary event, and this, coupled with some human negligence/stupidity, caused this nuclear crisis. Consider the benefit of nuclear in context - even if the plant blew up and killed 1000's of people, it's past environmental benefit has already saved millions from the effects of global warming, which would have been many times worse if all the nuclear plants in the world had never existed, and their power had been generated by fossil fuel over the past 40-odd years...

Suggesting that nuclear power stations be closed to prevent future disasters, is on the same level as suggesting that everyone stop driving cars as there is a possibility that a vehicle might be involved in an accident, and the occupants might be killed :whistling: it's just not practical. Yes, one could argue that solar, wind and wave power are safer/better alternatives, but then so is having EVERYONE on this world riding bicycles instead of cars...

OK, putting on my flame suit and crawling into a hole now :whistling:

Hennie

Hennie I completely agree with you - way too many people are using this to jump on the anti-nuclear bandwagon. My main complaint with nuclear is that it is actually very damn expensive! There are other avenues to explore which are far more cost effective and efficient. For example - demand side management, energy conservation, retrofitting, small scale distribution side generation. For example - fitting houses with solar heated geysers, ensuring building compliance with proper insulation etc etc. These have been shown time and time again to be extemely cost effective.

But! We are always going to need power. And I agree that nuclear is a infinitely better option than coal and our usual dirty options. There are exceptions to this, Japan is notoriously tectonically unstable, so probably not the best place for that sort of thing, especially not on the pacific rim... Renewable energy is obviously the way forward, but over and above cheapening the production methods - energy storage is a big issue. Simply put - the most promising renewables generate energy when we dont need it!

Shaun - most recent stats from NHK over 20,000 dead and missing. :-(

And then the displaced - "Over 280,000 evacuees from Tohoku, with over 150,000 in Miyagi, another 110,000 in Fukushima and Iwate combined" - NHK news.

Last edited:
Wow I heard this morning on the radio that figure. Obviously Talk Radio 702 are a little behind in the stats :(

I fear this will not be an isolated incident in years to come either. Only a few months ago there was a earthquake much smaller a few thousand kilometres off the coast of Port Elizabeth / East London. No Tsunami but the threat is there.

Good times to live in Johannesburg I feel.

Wow I heard this morning on the radio that figure. Obviously Talk Radio 702 are a little behind in the stats :(

I fear this will not be an isolated incident in years to come either. Only a few months ago there was a earthquake much smaller a few thousand kilometres off the coast of Port Elizabeth / East London. No Tsunami but the threat is there.

Good times to live in Johannesburg I feel.

when i was young around 6 years old i remember a tremmor shaking me out of my bed and then subsiding, felt like it went on for an eternity but it was maybe 30 seconds. all of the family huddled in 1 room of the house.

Other than that i have never ever experienced anything like that again. i was later told that was a earth tremmor. weather it was or not i will never be sure.

i can remember that very clearly today still and i am 33 this year..

not a lekker thing to experience

When I saw the tsunami, 1st thing that popped in my head was a joke.. Cant help that Im a shit. lol

Low levels of radiation found in the main supply of water in Tokyo. I think Japan heading for even bigger disaster with the nuclear power station.

Officials said that drinking a glass of tap water with the worst levels of radiation found so far (i think this was for tap water near fukushima) would be equivalent to 1/88th of a chest x-ray.

Our media is very quick to cry wolf - dont forget that we are exposed to radiation all the time. Even a standard CRT TV spits out minute amounts of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom