TS4 with Blaster pump?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Depot' started by lIghty, 8 Aug 2010.

1. lIghty

lIghty

Hi Scott

My mother has a TS4 skimmer which 2 of the 3 pumps have failed, I was thinking of instead of replacing the 2 OTP 2000 (3rd would probably follow soon) I was thinking of installing a HY5000 or HY3000 blaster pump, the dia on the neck is not all that big comparred to the RO-PS 5000INT which is 150mm, so think the HY5000 may be a bit big?

Any advise would be appreciated!

Thx

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. SIMS

SIMS

I reecon a 5000 will be fine - maybe add a ball valve

4. AD Scott

AD Scott

TS4 with 4 pumps? Was that the older model that used to have 3 x King-3 pumps? The newer TS4's have 2 x OTP-3000 but they too will soon be replaced by a new model TS4 which will have 1 x OTP-5000 (not the HY Bubble Blaster 5000). That might be an option as well. Just to do some comparisons on air draw:

3 x OTP-2000 = 1,350l/h (your model)
    2 x OTP-3000 = 1,600l/h (current TS4)
    1 x OTP-5000 = 1,800l/h (newer TS4 - still on the way)

1 x HY-3000 = 1,500l/h
    1 x HY-5000 = 2,000l/h

The newer model TS4's and new OTP-5000 pumps & venturis are supposed to be here end of this month. Our order with Reef Octopus was split into 2 and we have not seen the packing list yet but if it did not catch that container then it will arrive around the 3rd week of next month.

I am also skeptical as to the neck of the TS4 handling the air since the Bubble Blaster 5000 skimmer neck is much larger (although the chamber size is the same). I'm not sure if there were design changes to the newer TS4's with the OTP-5000 which comes quite close to the bubble blaster's performance. You'll be safe with 1 x OTP-3000 for sure which would already give you better performance than what you are getting now. But personally I would try to fit the OTP-5000 if you can wait. It will be your cheapest option and the specs look great.

Your only problem would be the existing plumbing on the chamber. The older skimmers came with pretty small unions so it might restrict flow a bit but I don't think it would be a big problem. After the union go straight out to the diameter of the piping on the outlet of the newer pump you're installing.

Sims idea could give you the best performance (if you don't have to dial it back too much) but it will also cost the most.

HTH

5. SIMS

SIMS

I would probably split the flow from the HY pump into 2 of your current inlets and then block the 3rd.

One thing Scott did not give figures for is pump power usage. I suspect a OTP 5000 may work out to around 100 watts (no iea just a guess) vs 55 watts for the HY5000

You may be better off selling the TS 4 and getting a bubble blaster.

6. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Thanks guys

Just checked with my father and he has gotten 2 of the 3 OTP 2000 pumps running.

Selling is not an option as you won't get much for it with a broken pump.

Scott, do you have the wattage on the OTP 5000 pumps? and if you could please advise if the neck size of the new TS4 has been increased when you receive the stock. Do you have the Retail price on the HY-3000 and OTP-5000.

I also think the HY5000 would be too big.

Sims got a good idea of splitting the flow into 2 of the inlets. perhaps the using the HY3000? as I've never like the idea of placing valves on pump outlets.

7. AD Scott

AD Scott

The wattage on the OTP-5000 is 70W. It's pretty good for the air draw. I've written an e-mail to Reef Octopus asking about the neck size - will keep you posted. I'll only be able to write back on Wednesday since I'm in Cape Town tormorrow. Here are the retail prices you would look at paying through the shop (including VAT):

HY-3000 - R2,362
    OTP-5000 - R1,399

Those prices are excluding the venturi. Just tell whomever you order it through that we spoke about the venturi and we'll put it into the box for you.

If you want to replace just the broken OTP-2000, then it would only cost around R633 (incl VAT). That's assuming you have the older style OTP-2000 which has the original black threaded fitting on top of the pump (not the newer gray threaded fittings). If there's nothing wrong with your needle-wheel or pin-wheel impeller, then it would only cost around R424.

I forgot to mention that the air draw figures I mentioned for the OTP pumps are when they are fitted with pin-wheel impellers. The older needle-wheels would be down a bit from there. Pin-wheel impellers would be a good upgrade for your existing pumps if you don't want to change them but the newer impellers go for around R210.

8. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

I am busy building a new skimmer with the use of the HY-3000.
    What would be the recommendation for the height of the pump inlet?
    From the top of the neck down to the point where the pump sucks the air in.
    Also what neck diameter should I use? Neck is the contact pipe in the collection cup, right?
    The total height from the bottom of the skimmer until the top of the neck is 1000mm.
    The diameter of the skimmer is 200mm.

Thanks

Marcel

9. SIMS

SIMS

Wow 5000lph for 70w is a good upgrade on the OTP3000 - I may be wrong but I think those are 65watts.

Looks like I may need to do some upgrades :p

10. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Thanks Scott, I'll try get a pic of the pump.

Oh and 70w for the OTP 5000 is very good! this is starting to look like the best way!

Last edited: 9 Aug 2010
  11. shane

shane

Hi Scott,
    "3 x OTP-2000 = 1,350l/h (your model)"
    I would assume that this air draw is for all 3 pumps combined?
    I can see why the newer models perform better that the older models.
    Tagging along on this one Justin as I also have the same model skimmer that your mom does.Maybe time to upgrade the pumps.
    Cheers

12. LuckyFish

Is the price mentioned above for the HY 3000S or HY 3000 W?

13. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

I would look at putting 3 X sicce pumps on that skimmer...

14. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

now thats a great idea, those will max it out but then the cost gets a bit steep

15. SIMS

SIMS

IME the blaster pumps are better. I always battle to open the sicci pumps

16. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

yes they are better but more $$$.

U and everyone else around the world as well:lol:

17. AD Scott

AD Scott

lIghty - Neck on the TS4 hasen't changed.

Hi LuckyFish - That price is for the skimmer pump. For the pump inlet (on the skimmer chamber) on an HY-3000 I would remove the cover plate (for the pump outlet) & re-position it to make the outlet come out straight into the skimmer chamber (ie. no bends before the chamber). It should work better if you're skimmer design allows it. Neck diameter on a bubble blaster skimmer using that pump is 12cm. It is the acryllic pipe going through the skimmer cup. The chamber diameter looks good but your chamber is a little tall. The pumps are not rated for pressure, so having a tall skimmer (and tall water level in the chamber) might cause some back-pressure on the pump which means it will reduce water flow & air intake. It might not make much difference but it's hard to say without hooking up the venturi to an air flow meter. HTH.

Sims - 70w is good. The wattage on an OTP-3000 skimmer pump is supposed to be around 45w with the new impellers and 65W with a normal impeller pushing water only. I know what you mean about PSK pumps. But there is an easier way. There's a little piece that sticks out from the cover plate. If you place that piece onto the edge of a hard flat surface (like the edge of a table), you can use that to hold the cover plate in place while you twist the whole pump around it.

Shane - you're right, it is with all 3 pumps together. Also the air draw figures I mentioned are with the newer pin-wheel impellers. The older pin-wheel drew a little less.

3 x PSK pumps would work very well, but 3 of them & 3 venturis would cost more than one bubble blaster & venturi.

18. LuckyFish

Cheers

19. FransSny

FransSny

Scott I am a bit confused on that price. On my pricelist that is the price for the Waterblaster , not the Bubbleblaster pump, could you please confirm

20. AD Scott

AD Scott

Hi Frans. Sorry, I made a mistake. You are right. The price on the HY-3000S is R2,822. My bad.

LuckyFish, are you making a recirculating or in-sump skimmer? I think I misunderstood your question. You're looking for the maximum height (from the base to the top of the skimmer neck)? I wouldn't be able to give you an answer to that. I could only give you an idea on what a similar bubble blaster's skimmer height is. If you really wanted to make it as tall as possible then you wold need play around a bit with an air flow meter. Or fill the chamber at different water levels and do a rough guess as to when you get a drop in air production. Are you trying to make it as tall as possible to maximise contact time? I hope I didn't misunderstand your question.

21. FransSny

FransSny

Thanx Scott :thumbup: thought I was ripping customers off

Recent Posts