TS2 skimmer depth preferrance

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by herkie, 15 Dec 2010.

1. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

I have moved and my tank is being set-up now. I had major space constraints before and all equipment was fitted for space reasons instead of efficiency. How deep does TS2 skimmers like to stand in the water? I now have plenty space and have built a 250l sump for my 75l display tank. This sump is in a room next to the house with all the pumps mounted outside. I am also trying to do a mod to the overflow to make it hopefully completely silent.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

You can put it as deep or shallow as you want. You just have to adjust the water level to compensate for the increase or decrease in pressure. Remember to wash your skimmer out with sunlight liquid or vinegar to it kicks in quicker

4. herkie

herkie Thread Starter R.I.P.

Will do thanks Tony

5. lloyd18

lloyd18

Sorry to Hijack here but wt should the internal water level be to skim efficiently with a TS2?

6. lIghty

lIghty

I have found the TS2 performs best when the EXT. water level is just above the pipe that goes into the chamber from the pump, and the INT. around the bottom of the cup ( water must just pee out of the "pee hole" in the side of the skimmer.

7. Tony

Tony

Lloyd, some guys have modified them to work as an external skimmer, and some have them in enough water to cover them pump, and some guys have it up to the neck of the skimmer. It depends on the space and design of the sump. I once had mine about the third of the way up the skimmer and much deeper and they both worked just fine. You just have to adjust the skimmer in each instance to compensate for the pressure differences

8. herkie

The reason for asking this question is my TS2 was not working well since it was moved to the sump I used up to a month ago. I thought the water depth could be a contributing factor, can the pump have a problem in the coil around the impeller that will cause it to pump very weak? The impeller looks fine but the water flow out of the skimmer pipe seems to be weaker than before.

9. Tony

Tony

Herkie, open up the pump and check that nothings blocking the inlet and there isn't anything on the impeller and needlehead. Also check the rubber bushes on either side of the ceramic shaft. Sometimes they build up with all sorts of rubbish and the pumps need to be cleaned out as a matter of regular maintenance

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I had mine at 280mm and adjusted so that water level is 5mm below the ''pee hole'' - it skimmed lekka like that. Mine skimmed too wet if water comes out the pee hole.
    Check the venturi on the pump inlet, it can accumulate crap and decrease the diameter causing less air to be drawn in and skim insufficiant. I cleaned mine with a drill bit from the top and front. Agree on the other checks for the pump impeller. I had a pinwheel in mine and worked great.

viper357 likes this.
  11. herkie

I have fiddled with the pump and venturi and there is really nothing wrong. That is why I am wondering if something in the coil that creates the magnetic field could have gone wrong. In other words the magnetic field around the impeller is not as strong as before and the impeller is driven slower causing the weak pumping.

12. magman

magman

Herkie, howsit, where have you moved too, I also moved but still in meerensee.

Is the impellor fixed on the shaft, or has the impellor just moved off the shaft?

13. herkie

Hi Seun, Im in Arboretum and everything is still very deurmekaar here. The impeller is fixed onto the shaft. Wanted to go for water this morning but I did not get enough containers. With the small tank 3 x 20l containers was ok now I have to fill this 250l sump.

14. lIghty

lIghty

Mmmm the impellor should spin free on the shaft, perhaps that is the problem.
    Posted via Mobile Device

15. magman

magman

You should of come and got my 50Lt containers, I got about 12 of them.

16. herkie

Thanks a lot, lets see what next weekend looks like. Where did you fetch water from?

17. herkie

I have built a platform so that the skimmer is in 280mm deep water as Tobes suggested and
    the skimmer seems to be going better than in the previous sump. It still skims very wet and I have lowered the water level last night.

Recent Posts