TS 1 skimmer question

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by highlander, 4 Jun 2008.

1. highlander

highlander

Hey

i got a new Ts1 and was testing it in a bucket reaching half way the skimmer. Not much bubles come out of the pump and chamber. What should i do?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Highlander - OK here's my opinion:
    1) all skimmers we buy and use NEEDS to have saltwater to work well (the more the salinity the better the skimmer works)
    2) there are two water levels you should worry about - one is the external water level (outside the skimmer), and in internal water level (inside the skimmer)
    = the external water level, would be the water level in your sump, or bucket - this should AT LEAST cover the inlet pipe (where the pump inlet enters the skimmer body), by 2 centimetres
    = the internal skimmer water level is controlled by the outlet pipe - you should adjust this outlet pipe (it can move up and down) upwards, and the internal water level will move upwards - we all basically keep our water levels of our TS skimmers, where the "neck section" starts - that the foam climbs up the neck, and not the water

So - go and check these two levels, and if you still have problems, let us know.
    Another thing to check, is the air-pipe - remove the black air-silencer - this will assist in allowing more air into the pump..... Also - just make sure that this air-pipe is AT ALL TIME ABOVE water...

4. highlander

highlander Thread Starter

Ok thanks for answer... helps a lot.... even tho its not in salt water i just wanna check if it works properly.... it just seems that there isnt that much bubbles in the chamber as I have seen the other pictures. So it will work better once I do the above?

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Yes - definitely will Highlander! Definitely will - saltwater skimmers don't do too well in fresh-water ;-)

There are skimmers available for fresh-water, though - but with different designs.....

6. Warr7207

Warr7207

Agree with Jacques tried my skimmer with fresh water and just gurgles away, not many bubbles.

Recent Posts