trying to set a nano reef

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Rais, 30 Dec 2013.

1. Rais

Rais

Hi folks!!!

Rais is the name,I'm from durban, just joined recently,will love to learn more about marine and nano reefs,I have just purchased a 37 litre nano, started cycling lastnight, just want to know what's the next few steps

Regards and thanks in advance

this is a pic of what my tank looks like at the moment. there is still a lot more live rock to put in.

My nano tank.jpg

Last edited: 31 Dec 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Marcd50

Marcd50

Set up an auto top up, stability is key, for that size an air pump and water bottle will work well. Top up with Rodi water.

Welcome to Masa.

Last edited: 30 Dec 2013
  4. Rais

Rais Thread Starter

Hi marcd50, I'm still very new at this, could you tell me how to set an auto top up please

5. Marcd50

Marcd50

I'll get some info together for you and pm you in the morning

Last edited: 30 Dec 2013
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and welcome Rais

Can use the search bar on top of every page to search through this forum on any topic.

7. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

masahello

Do you have an Aquaria tank? Awesome tanks but just watch the heat!

8. Rais

Rais Thread Starter

Hi yes its an aquaria tank, just love the look and its much safer cause of the round edge's, lol my 2 year old won't get hurt. When I was purchasing the tank the guy told me that if it heats up abit I must just open the top for a while, do you guys think its a good starter tank after all it has a skimmer,lighting,filters etc??

9. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Definitely a great starter tank, this was also my first tank :thumbup:
    You will find that you will need to have the lid opened quite often, I used to prop my lid open with pegs to cool it down. Also, monitor the sponges at the back of the tank, they clog up really quickly and can cause nitrate spikes and impair flow. @Aquaria-SA (Lawrence) is a sponsor on MASA, he can also give you advice on how to run it.

We also need pics else we start charging for the advice given :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

hi @Rais
    you have a nice little tank.. i have the same tank and if you like can give you some tips..

the most important tip i can give you while you are still in the begining is to make an overflow box. do it now before you start adding fish or corals it will look like this

IMG_20130602_112414.jpg
    y

IMG_20130602_112414.jpg

11. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

the other thing ive done is to remove the return pump and replace it with a bigger pump.. and removed the DSB chamber and also the one next to the pump

12. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

now i have only the first chamber next to the skimmer where i have some ceramic rings and a sponge on top to catch the big dirt and the rest is one big return chamber where i have a bag with some Seachem Nitraguard stones.... to be honest this tank gets extremely hot due to the fact that the ballsts for the T5s are in the hood and they get very hot and you gonna have to keep the hood open most of the time in the summer.. i have now connected a small chiller to the tank but soon im transferring everything to my new much bigger system.

13. Rais

Rais Thread Starter

Thanks guys the info is very helpful, lol I need a lot of guidance with this, will upload pics of the tank as soon as I learn how to, please bare with me lol, the only thing I'm worried about is that I don't wana make stupid mistakes which could affect the tank when I have livestock in it, so rather do it right now before its too late, that's just my thing

14. MouseMan

MouseMan

Slms. Good luck with the new tank. Stupid mistakes will happen its part of learning. I'm a new bee to, on my first week I overdosed kalc and watches my fish swim upside down had to do a water change at midnight. Just take it as it comes, thes a lot of helpful ppl on this forum

15. Rais

Rais Thread Starter

Wslm. Yup you right!! The people who replied to my thread are all extreamly helpful @HOT SAUCE could. You please post some pics of the chambers to give me a small idea of what you have going on there,what size tank do you have at the moment

16. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

i have the 37L Aquaria tank like yours and also just setup a 300L tank i build my self.. if you wanna check some pictures of my tank check my album Marine Aquariums South Africa

there are some pictures there of the overflow box i build which i think is really important for two things.. first there is always an oil fim that builds on the water surface and if you dont have overflow box is difficult to remove and restricts light quality and penetration... second by biulding an overflow box you ensure that the water level in the display section of the tank stays always the same and only the water in the return chamber drops

Last edited: 31 Dec 2013
  17. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

this is how the back compartment of my tank looks like... to be honest i just think the cheato/dsb chamber and the last chamber are a bit useless and only collect dirt and restrict the water flow

IMG_20131231_111124.jpg

IMG_20131231_111124.jpg

18. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

the two green pipes are for the chiller.. and also there is a bag of Seachem Nitraguard just under the pipes . thats all

of all things i would say the most difficult thing about this tank will be keeping the temp low other than that with few little tweaks it a very nice tank to have

19. Rais

Rais Thread Starter

Thanksfor the help

20. Rais

Rais Thread Starter

Will chk pics out now:)

21. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

there are some more pictures of the overflow in action.. you can see it skimming the surface of the water quite well and i've never had to clean the oily buildup ever since... all you need is to build a plastic box that will cover those openings that you have on the back panel and glue it over them i used aquamend to do that but i think superglue gel will do a much better job

Recent Posts