truman-clans 300L custom build

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by Truman-clan, 13 Aug 2011.

1. Truman-clan

Truman-clan

Hey all, I had only been running a juwel vision 180l for 6 months and have been spoilt to an upgrade for my upcoming birthday! it measures in at 42"X21"X18"

It's a custom build we got of good old sea-bay! With a halide unit (weipro LM 120 without the tubes) & sump!

The tank alone holds 300L and the sump holds approx 50L.

I have transferred my tank over last week but only got up to full running capacity today.
    We've decided to treat it a a straight swap, 90% of the old water, and 50% new water, a few cup fulls of sand for my horseshoe crab (dont want to transfer all the sand, and awaiting new sand to be delivered)
    Moved my rocks over easy peasy and then caught all my fish and plonked them in.
    It's now running same as my old tank, with TMC v200 Skimmer, 200W aqua one heater and bio balls from my old external filter in my sump.

Stock wise I have so far :

x1 fire fish (was 2 but sadly one died in the transfer of tanks)
    x2 false percula clowns
    x1 yellow spotted box fish
    x1 horseshoe crab
    x1 mandarin
    x2 breeding skunk cleaner shrimp
    x1 turbo snail (who is utterly useless!)

and usual hitchhikers
    x2 small crabs
    x1 teddybear crab (being a little pain to kill!)
    x5 bristle worms
    x3 asternia starfish
    x1 aip coral (im undecided if to keep or kill it!)

x1 large mixed zoa frag
    x2 small pink ricordea frags
    (my frags were only added yesterday, as never had any in my old tank as was running old t5's and wanted to run halide's)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

Wow now those are some really interesting critters you got there! What do you feed the horseshoe?

4. Truman-clan

Truman-clan Thread Starter

He doesnt seem to be fussy! he eats all the left overs, i am currently feeding flake, live brine & frozen mysis (tho will be halfing the frozen mysis cube, but also going to start adding half frozen mix)

I will say this for my horseshoe crab, ever since buying him 4weeks ago, my nitrates, nitrites & ammonia are all 0 and stayed there! he cleans up all the food left on the sand, and then burries himself and turns my sand over daily!

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Welcome to MASA. :thumbup:

Cool to have you as a part of the family. Yes you are off to a good start because we just love PIC's

In the first PIC it looks like bricks in the sump. :) i have seen and tried this as anaerobic filter before, looks like you are changing to a DSB.

6. Truman-clan

Truman-clan Thread Starter

just had a closer inspection of the first pic an it does! but there not! its the small barrier strips that have been put in for a DSB to help prevent the sand from piling up on one side of the compartment!

the 2nd pic is me using a bag or agramud i got by mistake of ebay, but when i tested it out, my water was continuously murky so scrapped it and waiting for an extra order of sand to come so I can add it in

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Ok, trust you are enjoying the experience which is very interesting to us. Please keep us updated with developments and enjoy your addiction to MASA.

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome...

Recent Posts