Urgent help needed True Percula not doing too well

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by VicZA, 24 Jan 2014.

1. VicZA

VicZA

Hey all, I have two True Percula Clowns that were introduced into my tank at the same time and quite small. I have had them since December 2013, and they are tank bred. One of them is quite a bit smaller than the other and is now very inactive (spends most of the day lying on the substrate) and also is not eating much at all. It also seems as if he gets bullied by the other clown as I have seen it bump it and chase it quite a bit.

What should I do ?

- just continue feeding?
    - remove into quarantine?
    - not sure what is the best approach to try getting this little guy 100% again

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

few months ago i experienced similar thing with my clowns... the smaller one was getting bullied by the slightly bigger and dominant fish.. most of the time i would find it in the overflow box. at the same time it wasn't eating and mostly staying still in strange corners of the tank.
    i started a thread here and people suggested that the one fish is changing into a female and thus trying to dominate the male and that is natural and eventually once they have established who's who the female would stop being aggressive... unfortunately the female died few days later during a power backout so i cannot confirm if this theory is true

4. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

... interesting. Could you please direct me to that thread so I can read the comments.

5. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

let me check ..

6. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

7. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

hope this helps

i also think that clown fish are very territorial.. and perhaps if you can create two different spots where each fish can host it might help... i can imagine the poor fish must be tired of running around with nowhere to hide and ends up just lying on the sand

8. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

Ja, I suppose a bunch of things could be wrong. At least there are no spots on him or injury marks so I hope all will turn out ok. Need to get some Nennies into the tank too ... that may help

Thanks for the link:thumbup:

9. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Clowns do not need nennies, they will host in whatever they fancy, be it mushrooms, algae, pins. Do not add a nennie just for the sake of the clowns. They may never take to it at all.

10. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

cool man.. i really hope the little guy comes ok? since your tank is a bit new i would instead put in some hammers, torches or even elegance coral for hosting and wait a bit before you introduce a nennie, i've read that they need an established tank

11. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

I have a small torch for now. However clowns don't even go near any coral. They just hang around the front glass 100% of the time ... quite disappointment in them till now

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

tank bred clowns tend at times not to host. They really do not need an anemone. Plus a new tank should not get an anemone either. If they want to host, they will find a spot or leather or whatever they fancy. But tank bred might just as well never host. Or take very very long before they do.

13. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

... think this may well be the case unfortunately

14. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

if they don't host does it mean they are less tendencacy to be territorial ? Could I then add some skunk clowns ? or will that still be a problem ?

15. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

maybe ... but then depends how they (the clowns) define ''teritorial'' .. are they protecting a particular coral they are hosting in (be it torch ,hammer, nennie etc) or are they defending a corner of the tank or even the whole tank depending how big it is

16. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Vic, I looked at your tank thread. It appears that your tank is only a week old, unless I speed read through it and missed the actual startup date?

However, I do not believe it would be a good idea to add any part of the damsel family (which includes clowns) to your tank at the moment. Especially if your one clown is already in distress and being bullied. The tank does not appear to have some well established growth, which might pose a problem for your current clowns. If you add other fish known for territorial behaviour, you might end up losing both clowns.

Since this tank appears to be fairly new, I would hold off on adding any new fish at present time.

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Tank bred will hang around a certain spot if they want to exhibit a hosting behavior. Hang around the overflow, or a pump or corner of a tank. Anywhere where they feel safe.

Else they swim around not even bothered. They are strange. After all they are clowns.

I had a tank bred and wild caught clown pair. The tank bred male did not host at all. Eventually he convinced the wild caught female to stop hosting and they slept in the middle of the tank on the substrate. Fast forward 2 years later, Now they both host a big pin cushion. and defends it against all the other much bigger fish. So they can change their mind as well over time.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2014
  18. Zandy

Zandy

What i experienced was... ( i agree with Riaan) but in my case i bought two snowflake clows (tank bred) which had a nennie but NEVER showed any interest in it. Then i had another slightly bigger clown (percula) which will host just about anything.
    I believed that the little snowflakes just need someone to show them what to do. I added the bigger clown which then went to the nennie straight away. Within 3 hours the first snowflake was hosting in the nennie same as the big clown....next day all 3 were hosting together. Now this i am sure is a case of MONKEY SEE...MONKEY DO !!!:thumbup:

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Tank bred never saw an anemone and does not know what it is.

They know they must host. Instinct. But they do not know what to host. That is why they will host in tank corners and overflows, algae and whatever they think is the right thing.

Some get it right eventually. My male ocealaris took 3 years... Maybe he is a slow learner...

Last edited: 24 Jan 2014
  20. Mac75

Mac75

i agree
    Urgent help needed Clownfish behaviour - Marine Aquariums South Africa

21. Mac75

Mac75

mine hosted a pin cushion after 4 years...but at night he still sleeps in one of the top corners of the tank :lol:

Recent Posts