Tropical to Marine

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Toasted, 15 Jan 2012.

1. Toasted

Toasted

Some 35yrs ago i remember my dad keeping a fish tank with 1 Anemone and what i since learn't was a maroon clown fish (i think). Sadly i also remember a mercury thermo being broke by a mantis shrimp and killing everything. I've had fresh water and tropical fish tanks with great success and recently sold off my tropical fish and dumped a load of sea salt into the tank! there its done! ahah not exactly like that but you get the story.. :)

Now all the research, you tube, google, yahoo, forums and shop sites there is a hell of a lot of conflicting information. strange. anyway i have a few questions for you bofs :p

Temperature?
    What is the ideal temperature of a marine tank? Through my research on youtube and other sites i gathered it was between 72F and 76F however i've recently discovered this page from a shop near me suggesting the temperature should be 25C-29C which converted is 77F to 84F
    My tank is constant at 25C (77F)
    So what is the ideal temperature, and should i raise mine?

Salinity
    Again conflicting information allover. Most say 1.021 yet ive seen on this forum 1.024 - 1.026
    My tank is at 1.023

Thanks for any info :)

(Fish are friends (not food)) :D

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Welcome to MASA

Toasted likes this.
  4. Toasted

Toasted Thread Starter

Thanks for you answer, so you are saying 35ppt which is 1.026 ? is this not on the high side? I just want to be sure before i add more salt.

The tank is cycling on its 3rd day with live rock.

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

you could get away with a SG of 1.021 with a fish only tank, but with a reef tank you should be 1.024/25

Toasted likes this.
  6. Toasted

Toasted Thread Starter

I will want to add an an anenome eventually for the two maroon clown fish i intend keeping so i guess i will add more salt now, start as you mean to go on lol.

Thanks for advice.

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yup a salinity of 35ppm or a (SG of 1.0266 @ 20c) is ideal. The lower the salinity the lower all the other parameters should be. One can battle to get calcium and KH to balance at lower salinity.

8. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and Welcome

Yes 25 is cool
    and 1.025 is about right.

First check what you need to be able to keep an anemone. Normally stable tanks of at least 8 months old is recommended. By then you would have learned how to keep the tank in good condition.

The lightning you had on the fresh water setup would most likely be T8 tubes. And not ideal at all to keep anemones, with exception maybe to bubble tips. Power heads must be protected, or covered.

10. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA...:1:
    My Temp is 25*C and my Salinity is 1.026...what you currently aim for is perfect...

If I'm not mistaken...guys help out here if I'm wrong...you'r Maroon should be added LAST as they are aggro...you really have to "plan" you'r tank stocking...
    Maroon Clownfish : A Look At The Large And Aggressive Maroon Clownfish

Maroon Clownfish

Anemone...
    A Beginner's Guide to Keeping Anemones - Anemones
    A Short Beginners Guide to Anemones - RareClownfish.com

Powerheads...
    Cover powerheads - karensroseanemones.net

Last edited: 16 Jan 2012
Recent Posts