Tropical to marine tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by CameL, 16 Dec 2008.

1. CameL

CameL

Hi there

I just registered about 2 minutes ago hoping to get some answers.

I have been to about 3 different pet shops in johannesburg and thus far all of them have told me that it will be better for me to buy a new tank then to convert my tropical tank to a marine tank...

The problem with that is that i have 2 tanks lying here waiting to be beautified by a marine setup.

I have a couple of questions:

1) My main tank is a 600mm X 300mm X 300mm tank and the tank i am planning on making the sump is a little 35l 'nano cube' type tank, Will that work ?
    2) If it will work, for my overflow, will it be fine if i have a box inside the tank with a small pump pumping to the sump ? Or do i have to use gravity and the siphon method ?

That is all i can think of for now, also kind of running out of time, got a supper to go to.

Thanks in advance.
    CameL

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

First off CameL - enjoy your supper!

Secondly - yes, you CAN convert your freshwater tank, BUT, you WILL find that a 300 mm high tank is a LITTLE bit difficult to work with.....
    Average, and personally I would say, minimum, would be 450mm high....

And yes - you can indeed use this tank as a nano - you don't HAVE to HAVE a sump with a nano, you can always get a hang-on nano skimmer (ReefOctopus makes an AWESOME nano skimmer - hang-on)..... more than adequate....

Please read through my post in "KyleStanley"'s thread first - this would answer a LOT of your questions......

Good luck mate!

4. scubaninja

scubaninja

welcometomasa

5. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

No, it will be virtually impossible to "balance" the pump pumping to the sump and the return pump pumping the water back to the display tank. Trust me, although you could have a gravity syphon system draining over the side of the tank, it WILL fail at some stage, causing the room to flood and the sump to be pumped dry and burning out the return pump, at best. The ONLY safe way is to have the tank drilled. Of course, having said that, you could have your existing tank drilled...

A much better solution would be to buy a drilled, "marine ready" tank of (say) 1.2m, and use your existing 600mm tank as a sump. The little nano cube could be used as a nano marine tank, housing one or two corals and perhaps a mantis shrimp or something similar, or you could place it level (or higher) than the display tank and use it as a refugium.

Hennie

6. Falcon

Falcon

the pump way simply wont work,drill the tank or use the siphon method as a last resort.and no you shouldnt use the nano as a sump rather custom build one to your needs they are quite cheap to make yourself also.

7. Dillon

Dillon

Hi, I have just done the same conversion with a slightly smaller tank (50 litres)

I have two aqua h20 hangon filters, the one is running phosphate remover and the other is running carbon and ammonia remover, I have a small 200l/h internal pump next to the outflow of these two filters to provide more turbulant curculation. I then have an internal Resun protein skimmer that is rated for 100litres - as cheap and nasty as it is, it seems to be doing an awesome job as I need to clean the collecting cup every second day.

I then have about 4kg live rock for my biological filtration, i will be upping this as I get corals to about 6kg.

The system has been running for about 6 weeks and I have the following live stock
    - 2 Red Hermit crabs
    - 1 Turban Snail
    - 1 Yellow Tube Worm

8. Falcon

Falcon

post some pics dillon,also why the ammonia remover,you dont need it and it is not wanted if you have a decent amount of liverock.rather ditch it i say now so that your natural bacteria which convert ammonia to nitrite and then nitrate can kick in....;)

run phos remover,carbon and nitrate remover,killer combo that'll keep your water clean and fresh.

or you could ditch the phos and nitrate remover once you have a leka algae scrubber running.

Recent Posts