Tropical fish in Port Elizabeth

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by luwaynecrous, 14 Feb 2010.

1. luwaynecrous

luwaynecrous

Hey there, anybody from PE who can give me advise to when the tropical fish will be on our coast and where to go snorkel them.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. petra

petra

where to snorkel

we also just started snorkeling. we caught a sergeant major, molly eyes, moonie and a convict sergeant at bluewater bay the other day.

they say march is the best time to go.

if you hear about other spots please let me know.

Thank you

4. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

PE has been relatively quiet this season. Guys usually start looking from October, but it often only starts in December and as occurred this season in January. Sometimes the season is good and sometimes there is hardly any season at all. The fish can occasionally be caught up until about May.
    This season started late, so far as I know only a few species of butterflies, boxies and an angel have been caught. Madagascar, lunula, vaggie, auriga, blackburnie butterflies, yellow boxy, old woman angel. A brown surgeon has been seen. You have caught the first convict surgeon that I know of this season.
    Swartkops is the only place consistently producing so far. Rockpools are mainly only producing sergeant majors and spot damsels.

5. luwaynecrous

luwaynecrous Thread Starter

I have heard that Flat rocks at humewood also produces nice specimens.

6. petra

petra

the other guy caught two small auriga's as well, also at bluewater bay. we havent been to swartkops yet, i dont know how safe it is to dive there.

we've been to flatrocks, lots of big fishes, still looking for the small ones.

they say cape recife is also a good place to go, but im not to sure where at cape recife. the beach is quiet big.

7. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

It is best to go in a group to Cape Recife. At one stage dive gear was not allowed in, I am not sure if that has changed.
    As far as I know no fish are coming out the sea yet in PE. Only Swartkops. It is usually best dived at High Tide, some dive at Low Tide. The current is strong in between tides and visibility varies between zilch and over 3 metres. To some guys anything over 15cm is good enough if they know where a decent fish is. Most dive the area up river from the bridge along the jetties.
    Strong swimmers with good breath hold sometimes do the pillars, but you have to watch out for boats, if you go to the bottom you have to make sure you don't get trapped on the inside when you come up.
    Also be careful for bumping your head on bits of metal, etc. on the jetties.

8. luwaynecrous

luwaynecrous Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Steve, I am very new in marines, have been down to swarkops today ,(the gully close to the yaucht club) and have seen at least 3 species of tropicals, the one I know was a threadfin , just by looking down the wall. going to try that spot this weekend. what is the best way to catch these fish, once Im in the water?

9. dv8

dv8

some of the good spots in P E swartkops definately, flatrocks , the tidal pools at willows, sometimes the slipway and the harbour wall if you are up for diving. the season is realy not that good this year, hope to go have a look at flatrock tomorrow. will let you know if i sea anything

10. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

That is also a spot but not as popular as Amsterdamhoek.
    You use nets, if you do not have then go to Stef's in Newton Park and get one of the black landing nets with the small mesh for R85 or R95. On the wall on the right hand side and also one of the cheap green nets (with a bamboo handle) or a green aquarium net. The black net is used for most fish and the green net for occasional very small wrasse that would go through the black net. Use the green net to chase fish towards the black net, which can be swiped quite fast. You also need to have a collecting bottle attached to your weight belt. Or have somebody walking as a bucket boy.

11. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

Time to start looking again, if you have not already. I think once the season seems to start we should try and organise an AMAS collecting outing, it will be useful for newbies.

12. Lycan

Lycan

Steve, that sound like an excelent idea

13. petra

petra

excellent idea. please make sure you put a big add on the site so we all know when and where.

Looking at the weather in PE it doesnt look like there is going to be a summer this year:) the sea water are still ice cold, we went down to blue water bay the other day and we couldnt even find those red and green tentacle thingys that stuck on the rock.

14. chops

chops

i came back from TK YESTERDAYwater nice and clear tem 22 saw some goldies cleaner wrass got some nice softies i go to TK every 2 weeks lucky me

15. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

Rogan caught an auriga at Swartkops, he also got 4 marleyi and a moony for Bayworld. It looks like the season may have started in PE at last.

16. dv8

dv8

17. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

We were looking at doing an AMAS social collecting session this weekend. Its a pity that the weather might not play along as a late morning midday dive (11:22 low tide) would have been nice for the sea this coming Saturday and the more resilient could have still done a late (17:30 high tide) dive at Swartkops. For those thinking of trying Swartkops, if you have sensitive skin, remember you will be stung. Everyone that dived last weekend got stung, it is not too bad, but is an irritation.
    For this weekend Richard will suss out if it looks good somewhere on the Wildside, but as Jason pointed out to me the weather may be an issue.

18. petra

petra

we caught to mollys at bluewater bay, lots of orega's but a bit harder to catch. one guy caught a boksie.

we are planning on going down to east london end of february, does anybody know of a great spot to snorkel?

19. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

Copy and paste of the email Richard sent about the collecting trip tomorrow.

Hi ya'awl

This is a call to all collectors who will be in the PE area on Saturday 22nd Jan and are interested in having a bit of a walkabout and seeing what fish have washed into the pools and gully's on the wildside. I'm walking (even if no-one else is interested) from Kini Bay through to Laurie's Bay, Beard's bay and Bushy Park and will be doing some serious scouting to see whether the wildside has any tropicals as of yet.

I'll be leaving the Kini Bay car park at about 9:00am and heading east, it's a 3km stroll along the beach before we get to Laurie's Bay, were I'll be puddlehopping until I've caught something decent or am bored.

If you're interested in joining me I recommend bringing
    1 - no weight-belts (unless you've got something to prove)
    2 - something to drink
    3 - good shoes for walking on the sharpest rocks in SA.

Post or PM me any questions, I'll be sending this invite out to all AMAS members whose email addresses I can find.

Regards
    Richard Matlock

20. Tim S

Tim S

Hi guys,

I lived in PE back when cool meant cold. During poor seasons only 2 places produced fish. The best place will always be Swatkops river. Be sure to try the other side of the bridge one in a while. A good burnii spot. The other great spot is call Willow Grove. It's a very large tidal pool and once the fish are washed over the wall, theres no escape. I have found antheas and bispinosis there in addition to the usual suspects. The swimming public could make it difficult so go when it's overcast and not so lekker to swim.

Good luck and let's hear what you caught...

21. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

Some of the AMAS guys caught Moorish Idols this weekend, if you follow the thread on the other forum.

Recent Posts