Tropic Marin Professional lab test kit

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I just wanted to share my experience on here.

I purchased this kit on the 2nd of December 2021 from Exotic aquarium and pets in Benoni. The guy there assured me this kit is a lot better than the Red Sea kit ( which was the one I was looking for ) I then purchased their top kit the professional lab.

Went home and tested my water and made adjustments according to the tests, Fast Forward a few weeks on and I started noticing all my Acans are starting to die and I kept testing the water and making adjustments according to the test kit. I eventually lost all my acans and my Prism also did not make it. This is when I decided to ask @FoundNemo if I can bring some water so we can test using his kits, Which resulted in the KH being super low at around 6 on his kits and over 9 on the tropic marin kit.

I took the kit and the water back to Exotic Aquarium and pet and when they tested the water using their kits they initially got a reading of 7 KH. I was asked to leave the test kit there so the management can have a look on Monday and I did just that. Monday comes and I had to call them to get answers from the boss there. He claims he tested my water and everything is correct as per the specs and that its not the kit that is at fault. I then already went and purchased a Red Sea test kit as I don't trust the tropic marin one at this stage. I got the kit back the Wednesday and tried to test my water again and it still tests incorrectly on all parameters.

When even using the Multi standard which is supposed to have precise readings, The test kits results vairy showing that the kit is at fault. This kit was just over R2000 and the corals lost are easily about R3000 worth, I feel like the least they can do it send the kit back to be tested and verify my findings.

I have Since tried contacting Tropic Marin directly but they aren't very helpful in resolving this issue I'm experiencing. So all and all this has left quite a sour taste in my mouth and I wouldn't recommend this kit to anyone and neither Exotic Aquarium and pets.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Sorry to hear, I find in most instances(not just marine related) that the stock on the floor is usually touted as better than the one they need to order or don't stock at all. . .

Test kits has always been up for discussion. Not only the Tropic Marine ones. In the past I had a 3 of the same test kits in my possession. And I can assure you all 3 kits gave different readings.

Another scenario I had was I got a reading from kit A. Then to double check my reading I took water to pet shop to test with kit B Now I sit with a scenario with two different readings. Wich kind of force you to get a mate to test with kit C.

Test kits differ I'm afraid

Sorry to hear it Jase, I also use the TM test kit for Calcium and Magnesium as well as the TM Pro reef salt and dose All for Reef. As far as I am aware my test for Ca and Mg is accurate - all my corals are doing fine. I use Hanna for alkalinity as its quick and hassle free. I know the color change on all these test kits are not that easy to read that is why I use Hanna where possible - its just much easier to read a digital reading and not a color change. It took me a while to accurately read the color changes on the TM for Ca and Mg, but that is the same for the other kits I used before. As for the Ca and Mg from TM I get quite accurate readings from it (as I tested it with other kits and fellow reefers). Is it just the KH that is reading inaccurate? You are more than welcome to bring a sample and I can measure the KH with my Hanna as a comparison.

Back
Top Bottom