Tropic Marin Lipovit messing with skimmer.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pXius, 10 Oct 2011.

1. pXius

pXius

So I started using Tropic Marin Lipovit in combination with Biofish Food and my fish go ape****! They love it but I just noticed my skimmer is barely foaming. I'm thinking that its the oiliness from the Lipovit.

Anyone experienced something like this?

Here's a pic, impressed with the garlic pellets, you can actually smell the garlic just by opening the lid.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Oct 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

interesting.. how long did the skimmer stop foaming for? could it not be a reaction to your hands /fingers being in the tank? assuming you put them in?

4. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

Fed about an hour ago, still not foaming.

Nope, no hands in the tank this morning. I'm sure it will get going again, just found it interesting as I didn't find any info on the forums about similar experiences.

Is the Brightwells Vitamin supplement water or oiled based? If its water based I might opt for that next time.

5. Sentari

Sentari

Also use this stuff with Nori. I soak it in Nori and they go crazy for it.

Its also like medication + vitamins to keep your fish healthy.

Very good stuff!

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Brightwell is water based, lipovit works well, i also find that my skimmer slows down a little, how much are you adding and to water size tank?

7. Achilles

Achilles

lipovit and brightwells aminomega are all oil based and they do prevent your skimmers from working for a while due to the fish oil in them , mine take about 40 minutes to recover a foam head.They are all very good supplements i use them twice weekly though not every day.

Do you find your fish like the biofish food as much without the lipovit, never used this food before but it looks good.

pXius and Tony like this.
  8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

brightwells vitamarin-c and m are water based, that was the response i got from them, they dissolve completely in RO water

9. Tony

Tony

I'm sure the fats in the lipovit will slow down skimmate production

10. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

@dallasg

Tank is about 600L and the food gets mixed with about 5 drops. I can admit however that my skimmer (Skimz 181) is super sensitive. When I forget to turn it off and dose any sort of coral food it reacts almost immediately.

@Achilles

Yes, even without lipovit they all chomp away. However my fish never had a problem with pellets. What was surprising is that my Niger trigger (new guy) loved it without lipovit as well, the first non live food he accepted. I believe its because of the strong garlic enrichment, you can really smell the stuff.

These pellets come it 2 sizes, I took the smaller grain because I still have a few small inmates. I'll post a pic of the grain size later.

I'll be using it daily for the next week or 2. Just want to make sure all my LS have strong immune systems after my last WS outbreak a few weeks ago. I'll cut back to 2-3 times a week after that.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts