Trochus snails - awesome

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Dane, 21 Jun 2010.

1. Dane

Dane

Hey guys,

anyone else have trochus snails as part of their CUC? Mine mow their way through hair algae and leave the rocks literally scrubbed clean. Just wish they'd cover the more rough terrain more often. Whats your experience with these guys? They seldom knock things over too which is nice. They've also been browsing a little cyano that popped up. Loving them!

on a side note, while i was watching my tank last night shortly after lights out and just with actinics the one snail ejected a sort of white mist - pooping or sexyness?

:) Just in case heres a pic

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

out of interest is there much differnce between Trochus Pyramis (which i think is the common pyrimid turbo's we commonloy see in tanks) and Trochus Histrio, and which is better for a system if anyone knows?

4. gaboon

gaboon

The mexican turbo snails (same as pic but whitish shell) are apparently the best, will even get stuck into briopsis

5. SIMS

SIMS

that white smoke is spawning...mine do it all the time. In a while you will notice snails everywhere. You jo will be short lived when you realise there 1000000 of the tiny guys growing everythere. When I took down my 1 tank I had them growwing in the pipes, in the skimmer, in the po4 reactore and probably in the chiller too. I think they will become a huge problem.

6. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Ha! I wondered why the two of them where following each other so closely for a while! Hahaha, randy little buggers. I will welcome some of their babies. But I suspect you may be right in that their numbers might be a little excessive - especially seeing as I don't have a protein skimmer to whisk them away!

Sims why do you think they would be a huge problem? Was your system running okay until then? I have a very simple setup, just about to add a refugium. But no sump, piping, skimmer etc.

7. SIMS

SIMS

well snails in pipes will be a big issue when they grow too big and block them ;)

8. PeterL

PeterL

You know that sensation when your sinus gets all choked up with a mix of crusty jobs and squishy jobs - don't blow it out, just leave it thee and only breathe through your nose...very same thing, eventually you will have serious side effects in the lack of air.

Very strange analogy but you will definately know exactly what is meant now with the influx of snails and growing too large inside the pipes ;)

9. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

thanks sims, PeterL. Perhaps I did not clarify properly - I understand the problem with pipes becoming blocked. We actually recently did an interesting case study where invasive zebra mussel caused huge problems in the states, completely blocking public water supplies. Amazing pictures...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

But, these creatures are not sessile filter feeders, like mussels or barnacles. They need to move around to graze for food. Their food doesnt really grow in dark places like pipes. So I thought they might not cause the same problems.one wouldnt expect them to just settle and grow out. As soon as it becomes cramped they would have to move elsewhere to graze.

10. Jacojs

Jacojs

Tagging.

Jaco.

Recent Posts