Triton Method

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dallasg, 6 Feb 2013.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

TNX Dallas. Will digest later when I haves a gap. Life is hectic ATM

4. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

I have sped read yhrough it,mostly hard to decipher through the marketing jargon, but the thread on UR did clear up a few things.
    I am not crazy about algel filtration, but thats a personsl choice largely due to space issues. Bottom line, it will work!

However, I do belive he is onto something regarding tedting more than just the usual Ca, alk, mg, PO4, NO3, blah blah that we usually test.
    I have for a long time advocated proper testing of parameters with scientific instead of hobbyist grade equipment. Of course, this is hardly possible without the proper tools, requiring an extensive budget.... Anybody keen on a mass spectrometer thingy group buy?
    I do wonder if they are contemplating franchising out.... I will be a customer, if I could afford it.
    A lot of what they say does make sence, as really, each aquarium is different. I am not clever enough however to know how each element us linked to alk usage, but i am sure there is a link.

5. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

I agree, already pricing a HLPC LAB :)

6. Express Reef

Express Reef

@dallasg:whistling: I also read thru it but dont understand 100% how it works

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. dallasg

its quite simple and i like the idea

basically you send in a sample of your water, they then analyze it and get a differential based on ideal ranges for the 102 elements etc. you then get a status quo dose to reset your tank to optimal levels and adjust the system using Alk. you then do 1% WC every month replenishing as you go...

I will post a detailed explanation later today

8. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

In essence, a very "refined" balling method..

9. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Tagging

10. dallasg

the basis is also around the biological and chemical interactions caused by various alga that need to be in the system.

i am afraid though that this is a system for open minded reefers that like to think and understand the biology on all levels, thats my first impression, i will post later

11. pkc

pkc

I had a marine biologist tell me that the algae, cyano and sponge way of water control I use is impossible. Substantial algae control of waters is hard for many to fathom yet the planet has been looking after its self and keeping us alive this way for hundreds of millions of years. This is not something that can be understood with out a lot of experience in observing results on how different forms of algae interact with each other and extract or inject substances into the aquariums waters and in the ocean. The ocean is run by algae and cyano in one way or another, whether they are free swimming or attached, the home aquarium can be completely run by algae-sponge forms, not one or two but many variants.
    Its quite funny how these things are coming to light these days as to how essential algae and sponges are to keeping reefs alive. Nature’s functions seem hard for the supposedly academic mind to comprehend on its many levels and it’s a shame because it does it far better then skimmers and live rock could ever do.
    Its only a matter of time now that the reef gurus are looking at these life forms and what they can do for our bit of the reef at home with out so many mechanical forms of filtration.
    I base my system on four main algae forms and two sponge forms,there are more but they do the majority of the water conditioning.
    One thing with natures functions though,you need the system to be running constantly as the ocean does!

Last edited: 10 Feb 2013
Recent Posts