Urgent help needed Triggerfish Ball in Stomach

Reaction score
My triggerfish has stopped eating for a few days now and upon closer inspection, i can see that the stomach / area around the anus resembles a small ball. I will post pics later.. Any ideas?

Its a blue throat trigger, ive had it for over 2 years now and it always had a healthy appetite. May be constipation.. i will try and post a clear pic later. Id also like to point out that it is still swimming around, but it is also hiding away much more than usual.

Do a search on constipation, I'm pretty sure people have fed their fish peas or something similar to sort it out.

Do you by any chance feed it dry Ocean Nutrition pellets? I've found that causes blockages when expanding in stomach, especially with greedy fish, had it happen a few times before, even lost a small goldflake hybrid like this. I switched to Hikari and soak in RO or Vitality for 5 minutes before feeding and no issues again.

I had the exact same with my blue throat last year. I thought he got blocked up by a big piece of clam. Tried feeding peas for constipation but he just did jot want to eat anything. He unfortunately did not make it.

Always soak pellet foods before feeding..used to have same issues with my Zaire blue frontosa a few years back..started soaking pellets then feeding it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, yes I do occasionally feed those pellets but haven't fed that much recently. Here are some pics, although it doesn't look like much is wrong, it almost looks as though there might be something blocking it's back passage. This is the first time in two years he has refused food. It's been almost a week now. Could it be that it swallowed a bone from the lancefish I feed and is unable to excrete it maybe. I have added a little Epsom salts last night as well. I will read up on vipers link later.

image.jpeg

From the image above you can see the small hump at the bottom. That is he only thing that appears out of the ordinary.

Read up on Epsom salts for constipation. I don't know the dosage but maybe you can find something

Any chance this could be some sort of infection, maybe worms or something? As i said, the stomach was not bloated, there was a swelling around the anus area and now that area seems like there is some sort of irritation there. I have not had any such problems in my tank before though and have not added new livestock in about 12+ months. Anyhting else i could try, maybe water change, raise the temperature, increase salinity or something?

Last edited:
Starting eating again eventually. Not sure what was wrong probably just blocked up by a bone or something

Back
Top Bottom