Trigger ID?

Reaction score
I caught a nice little trigger today, 2cm. It has a brown upper body with white spots. Then a White/Yellow Abdemon. It also has a spike on its head which it puts up and down. Any idea what it is? If a picture is needed I will try post one.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Pics really help when ID's are required. What is alos tricky is that, as a juvenile, it will change colours, but look for pics of the Goldheart Trigger or Balistes forcipatus

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Storm - it sounds like you are describing a funky colored clown trigger.... perhaps the fact that it looks brown, are actually a black coloration, but just look brown because it is stressed out?

Reaction score
Sigh i hope use can make this out, I have the ****test camera phone in the world :/

Photo-0103.jpg

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Well i can tell it's a fish, but i think you may have to wait until it is bigger to get an ID, at 2cms it is a baby, the colours will alter.

Reaction score
I finally found a picture of my juvenile triggerfish i caught. Sadly the article it was on has it as Species: Uknown... Any ideas?

Reaction score
Never seen this one before, where did you catch it? Is the water warm and clean at the moment?

Reaction score
It also has a spike on its head which it puts up and down.
I doubt it's a spike. It is probably the trigger fin. This is where it gets it's name form, as it looks like a trigger.

Also they only normally "cock" it when being more aggressive or feeding time.

Reaction score
Lowflyer I actually caught 2 of these all +/- 2cm. If ure interested in one let me know can work something out. I also have some other goody's ;). Oh and the water is clear on certain days, very murky on others but overall very warm... Anyways i got this guy in my reef since Saturday. His the most slow and shy moving thing ive seen. Does occasionally dart at the other trigger but i reckon i need to get rid of one before things don't go to well.

Reaction score
That sounds good, but my tank is still cycling, so I wouldn't want to murder the little guy. Haven't even checked my params yet after having the DSB in just over a week.

Reaction score
Well if this is the same as a Black triggerfish, im lucky. Its one heck of a stunner grown up. And ile keep one for u if u want.

Reaction score
Ok shot man, it is quite a stunner. I could probably keep it a while and pass it on when too big for my system.