Trigger Fish Infection?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by PhilOos, 19 Oct 2010.

1. PhilOos

PhilOos

Hi all,

My tank has been up and running for almost two months now. I now have a couple of soft corals (mostly leathers, mushrooms and a thing with tentacles and bubbles). I started of with two yellow tail damsels, then two clowns "nemo type", after that two tomato clowns, a goby, a yellow tang and lastly a trigger fish and a mandarin. I've noted raised scales on the trigger fish over the weekend and thought that it was due to another scquarrel between him and the yellow tang. But then I noted that in the mornings, the trigger is covered with white-spot, but when I turn the metal-halides on it goes away. I've also noted that the smaller of the tomato clows is missing? The bigger one is very aggressive, maybe? Any insight will be much
    appreciated?
    I will upload a photo as soon as I can figure out how...wait...?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are the bubble and tentacle corals..what do you call them?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. magman

magman

your tank maybe a bit young for manderins and even tangs imo, the gonipora is hard to keep also.

Try and take a pic of the eye of the trigger, it may be flukes, a cleaner shrimp will help keep it back but not treat it at all. Have you tested your water, good water helps the immunity of the fish too. Try add garlic to the food as it is a good immunity booster for the fish.

Take a closeup of the eye of the trigger. Does it twitch?

4. magman

magman

maybe get the fish out and treat them in a QT tank, don't add any medication to the DT unless you know it is 100% safe to dose that type. Don't add anymore stock untill it is treated.
    how big is the tank?

5. magman

magman

what foods you feeding, the trigger will prefer meatier foods, try to avoid frozen brine for the trigger, krill or mysis rather. The manderin also though will need live foods, try live brine for it, or I believe if you feed pellets and the pellets roll across the bottom of the sand in the DT it may trigger them to eat, as they prefer hunting live foods.

6. Achilles

Achilles

Yes , you have whitespot if it goes away as it goes through it's life cycle , if your water conditions are good a fish may fight it off with it's immune system - if not you may have to move it to a hospital/Quarantine aquarium and treat with appropriate medication

The 2 corals you posted are both hard coral / large polyp varieties they need good water quality- the Bubble coral is hardy and a relatively good beginner coral but still needs good water quality and adequate light and calcium to grow, the Tentacle coral is Goniopora and is best left to experts it needs frequent feedings and excellent water quality at reef parameters to survive long term - most die within 3-6 months in novice care slowly not expanding and withering away.

The tomatoe clowns are aggressive, the larger is usually a female which dominates the smaller male and may even kill it if the smaller one is changing to female and they have not paired up- this may be a reason your smaller one is missing

7. magman

magman

Achillies, does the w/s cover the eyes also like that? also the blotch behind the gills, if the fish was twitching would you agree it's flukes, don't the flukes look like w/s also, except with flukes the fish twitch, scrape and rub also.

8. Achilles

Achilles

Often people think a fish only has one disease they say" my fish has got whitespot or died from flukes etc etc" in reality if the fish is displaying one disease it may in fact have numerous maladies infecting it, it's immune system is compromised and so any opportunistic pathogen may strike it- Magman whitespot can cover the eyes , flukes are often diffcult to see being transparent on a fish and often the only time one sees them is when they go over the eye or fall off in a bath .

Fish will twitch and itch from white spot as well as flukes this is not a distinguishing feature of either . When one see's whitespot on a fish it is possible it also has fungal bacterial infections as well and could even have flukes too. The only way to really tell is to look at skin scrapings under a microscope.

The solution- if you not sure what the fish has use a broad spectrum medication which is effective against a wide variety of fish pathogens

Recent Posts