Triffid anemone?

Reaction score
My tank is 2 months old and I have seen these starting to grow on some of the base rock in my tank. Are they triffid anemones? Should I get rid of them?
What is the easiest way to do it?

7034824070c5f97f.jpg

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hello Hendrik - oh no! Sorry to say bud - you have the dreaded aptaisia anemone...
These things spread LIKE WILDFIRE! They don't do anything specifically to the tank or inhabitants, except for take over completely. THEN - once they have infiltrated between corals, etc, they sting the corals and the corals don't come out anymore :-(

To get rid of them - THAT's ANOTHER STORY.... People suggest vinegar injections, kalkwasser injections, "Joe's Juice" injections, lemon-juice injections, etc...

I have tried all - but to no avail.... So - you too can try the above suggestions, and let us know IF any of them work for you.

Good luck mate!

Reaction score
I've used a very hot, strong salt mixture - injected this into the little devil - worked for me....(or so I hoped) Don't really see them anymore...

Reaction score
Oh yeah - you can also try peppermint shrimps, or copperband butterflies (CBB's notoriously die if they don't eat within the 1st week or two)....
Won't the peppermint shrimp nip on nemmies in the tank? if it is eating on aptaisia - won't it eat nemmies (which i think is the same family as aptaisia)..?

Bayls

Not often called Junior!
Reaction score
Injecting with plain boiling water seems to have worked for me

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Hello Hendrik - oh no! Sorry to say bud - you have the dreaded aptaisia anemone...
Um, just in case you or anyone else reading this didn't realise triffid anemones and aiptasia are the same thing. Aka "glass anemone" as well. Aka "WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY must this happend to ME!!!!!!!!???????????? Why won't they just go AWAY!!" and sometimes "cute little anemone on my live rock, score!" ;)

Reaction score
Hi. Sorry I am only replying now.
I appreciate all the adivce.
I have borrowed something (can't remember the name) to inject them with.
They do however seem too small to do it now, so I will wait for them to grow a little bit more.

Thanks again.
Hendrik