Tridacnid Concern

Reaction score
I bought this guy a week ago. A beaut of note. However from day one he gaped. No discoloration on the mantle...just 2 slight tears. His reaction and general alertness are very good. I feed every day with phyto and cyclopeeze but he still seems stressed.

Is there anything else i can do to settle him in. And please id. Thanks in advance

xEkuriNnWrcpGdO4.JPG

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Sunburst, as long as it is alert don't sweat too much and please don't target feed they really don't enjoy it. Personally i would just leave it be and let it settle into its new home. Very nice clam.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Mmmm, dont know for sure, i would guess a Maxima. Maybe Milli or Sara could help out here.

Reaction score
Crocea

Reaction score
Sorry Mekaeel it’s defiantly not a gigas. Anthony is correct it is a T. crocea, and a beauty at that.
Shaun although the outlet hole looks big to you, it is not “gaping.” A gaping clam will also have the mantel pulled in (retracted) exposing parts of the inside shell.
Your clam looks in perfect health.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
I agree with mille, I also had a clam pretty much identical to yours, had him for over a year before I sold it, his outlet hole was always pretty big as in your picture but he was perfectly healthy and still going strong in Calvin's tank (hopefully) ;)

Reaction score
I agree with mille, I also had a clam pretty much identical to yours, had him for over a year before I sold it, his outlet hole was always pretty big as in your picture but he was perfectly healthy and still going strong in Calvin's tank (hopefully) ;)
Unfortunately we will never know will we. :lol: