Trial and error - moonlights

Reaction score
hi guys;)

gonna be trying my hands at another diy, this time moonlights
i have sourced my components , they comprise of
blue and white 5 mm 3.6v 30ma leds
and 0.25w resistors for a 12v power supply...

will put it togethere soon, check the pics:thumbup:

104348cf7bff73ae0.jpg
104348cf7c1259c60.jpg
104348cf7c2057bb2.jpg
104348cf7c2dddf18.jpg
104348cf7c403b16b.jpg

hi guys, sorry had been catching up on work,
ok this is my plan
in total i have 15 leds, 8 blue and 7 white
at the front of my canopy i will luminate it with 1 blue and 2 white at the ends,
i have been contemplating on some sort of a reflector and the idea hit me when one of my home down lighters burned out, i couldnt dismantle it so i had to break of the front glass plate and remove the inside bulb, i will cut out a 3mm thick perspex
to match the inside circumference which will be drilled to hold about 4 / 5 led with a mixture of blue and white, all resistors would be connected on the outside as to increase the inner space, now the problem is that i require one more burned downlighter to use, so i need to check around for another...

tonight i will try and see if i can capture the illumination of the leds on camera to depict its brightness;)

very interesting, when you have everything sorted out, would you please post step by step pics and a wiring diagram perhaps !!

good day guys
i didnt get a break to put together my project has i had some stuff to sort out at home, i will be posting step by step pics and a wiring diagram;) i will be attempting this tonight but just getting some pollarities sorted out first.

hi viper

i will be using a 12V power supply, with variable voltages
the voltage drop across the led is 3.6v
i will be using a 390 ohms resistor with a 0.25watt to reduce current consumption ;)

hi viper

i will be using a 12V power supply, with variable voltages
the voltage drop across the led is 3.6v
i will be using a 390 ohms resistor with a 0.25watt to reduce current consumption ;)
What amperage is the power supply? Will a 1A be sufficient?

very interesting, when you have everything sorted out, would you please post step by step pics and a wiring diagram perhaps !!

hi there neil

i didnt get time to put my project together as im still sorting
out my led anode and cathode connectors but what i do
have for you is a diagram of how you go about connecting this...

104348d0e8005b183.bmp

as you can see above is my power supply of 12V with a resistor each connected to the led, each resistor is 0.25watts with a 390 omhs resistance, it is best to connect this circuit in series has i have done and advisable to connect a resistor to each LED, resistors are very cheap they go for like R0.15 ect, they cut the voltage to matche the voltage drop across you LED so as not to burn them up and should there be a power surge the resistor is first to pop and you save your LED...

i will post pics of the real deal...;)

What amperage is the power supply? Will a 1A be sufficient?

hi viper

i have not checked on my ampers that is stated on my power supply but
i worked it out by the following

I (Amperage - also known as Current)
VA (Volt Amp - also known as Watt)
V (Volt) Formula to Use:
I = VA / V

I = 24 / 12

I = 2A

so i would say 1A would work, as i said my transformer has variable voltages
between the radius of 1.5v - 12v , currently i have tested my led with the resistors on 12v with a an absolutely great brightness and in doing so i also switch between the voltages as a dimmer, even at 1.5v the leds are bright ..... ;)

wow that's really cheap.where did you buy them A1 Radio?

thats it bro, A1 radio, the resistors for this will cost you R0.15
make sure to tell them the voltage you want to power the leds
up with and they can work out the resistance ... ;)

Back
Top Bottom