Treating Ick in a reef tank.

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by Meneer, 1 May 2011.

1. Meneer

Meneer

I might be getting some tangs soon.

Is there reef safe treatment if they should develop white spot?

I will get a hospital tank in time, but I have seen some setups here on MASA where I can not imagine someone catching a certain fish without a total re scape :tt2:

What do you treat them without taking them out of the tank?

I read all about the 28 day cycle and the ick dropping off, breeding on the live -rock etc...

I also read about some reef-safe medication.

What do those guys without hospital tanks, or who can not get the fish out do?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Two Oceans Aquatic S&S

Two Oceans Aquatic S&S

Do you have corals or inverts in the tank ?

Maybe the best will be if you come along today and you can pick out your fish we can give you your own holding tank and put your fish in there then leave them by me until you are happy that you have sorted out the parasite in your tank. I have know problems doing that and the fish will be safe with me.

Trev

4. rakabos

rakabos

One word. It saved my @ss! HERBTANA

5. Meneer

Meneer Thread Starter

I do not have corals in there yet, but plan on putting in some at a later stage.

I do not have any Ick or illnesses in my tank at this stage. Just the Yellow watchman with th hole in that died during the night. My other fish are fine. I just know that tangs are prone to whitespot - that's why I asked.

I will be putting up a second tank as per THIS thread, but I don't know what I am gonna put in there yet.

6. Two Oceans Aquatic S&S

Two Oceans Aquatic S&S

Ok when you come around today bring a small water sample with and if you have bring 2 extra cans for water, if you dont have extra cans I will borrow you some. Will explain in detail what to do when you come arround later

Trev

7. Two Oceans Aquatic S&S

Two Oceans Aquatic S&S

If you have space bring that tank with and I will drill the hole for you and I will also have plumbing fittings for you to do the overflow. Thats if you know where you want to put the overflow, if not bring it with anyways I will run some ideas past you of how to create a few nice overflow options. Have just finished drilling a few hundred holes so one more wont hurt.

Trev

8. Meneer

Meneer Thread Starter

Thanx - will do..

9. Meneer

Meneer Thread Starter

@rakabos Yes - Herbtana was the one I was thinking of....

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Yes i aggree with meneer , hebatana does wonders , theres also a seachem powder that you mix ito the frozen foods and the fish will ingest the medication instead of treating the water volume.

Total rescapes is par for the course in our store as we put the more sensitive fish into our best water quality tanks , which happens to be the coral tanks, and there are plenty of natural foods for them to nibble and grage on to reduce stress while they dont eat offered foods.

But a quarenteen tank with a good mature filter would be a great idea.

Good luck
    David

11. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

THAT's why we put our fish, corals, and anything else that's alive into quarantine tanks (for 4-6 weeks) BEFORE we put them into our display tanks. This way, you will never infect your display tank... so, get your QT BEFORE you get your fish!

Hennie

12. Jeann1

Jeann1

+1

I learned the hard way with a very healty when bought powder blue tang - waiting for my new QT to be delivered!

13. Zane de Beer

Zane de Beer

The best way to cure it in your reef tank, is not to get it in there! :) QT all your fish!!

We recently had a fish with White spot in our 1.8m tank, Tried everything short of copper treatment to sort it out. By the time it got so bad, I had to drain 70% of the water and remove most of our LS and LR to catch the fish, only to lose 12 of our 14 fish (4 tangs, 4 angels and more) a few days later. The only two who made it was the Foxface and Midas Blenny :(

Our DT has now been without fish for nearly 5 weeks, and the remaining and new fish in the QT with Cupramine and Hypo Salinity. After 6 weeks is over the fish will be reintroduced to the DT

14. Junz

Junz

used herbatana and it works

15. rakabos

rakabos

Herbtana is pretty much a miracle cure!

16. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Used herbtana - even with artemis did not help. Lost fish. It is good for treating a stressed fish or fish with injury. Thats it. No Whitespot miracle cure. There is no such thing. It is either Hypo (My preferred) or the transfer bucket method!

@Zane - I know your pain. Curpamine is Like chemo for fish.
    Doing Copper with hypo is risky in my opinion.

Also remember Copper is a immuno suppressant and also causes secondary infections to flare up PLUS it kills all bacteria as well as the fish's intestinal flora.

Be careful !

17. magman

magman

I agree, anything reefsafe for ick is a snake oil and a rip off, people who say this and that is a miracle cure, have not had wipeout strains of ick, most new fish get 5 or 6 big white spots, and it always lasts only 3-4 days, but the snake oil get the credit when the spots disapear after 4 days when the fish is settled.

I believe (in my magman opinion), that when you buy a fish from lfs A, and then a week later from lfs B, that both strains of ick breed and you get another hybrid, and make a new hybrid, thus why degeneration of the ick after 11 months is also considred a cure, but also some people get one fish, and it wipes out all the others.

Hypo, I havn't tried, but I know Ushaka don't agree with hypo, as they found some strains are resistant, rather bucket method, or copper.

I use cupramine, but I run it at 0.250, seachem say go 0.500, it's basically half dosage, I add it to the new water when doing a water change also, so that levels stay consistant. No lr or anything to absorb, Even copper sensitive fish like centropyges can handle up to 0.700 of a non chelated copper, the stronger strains of crypt need a level up to 0.200, and some parasites like flukes upto 0.400, some of the guru's like Achillies also prefer paraguard for qt, I bath all new fish in paraguard when acclimitising, but have found it is expensive to dose daily in a big qt, as it breaksdown in the water in 24 hours and needs to be dosed daily. I only run the copper for 2-3 weeks then let the fish recover for 3 weeks before going into the DT, but I have found that the levels of .250 don't affect the fish, including angels ( I am scared to do it to dwarfs!!!)

18. Zane de Beer

Zane de Beer

None of the "reef safe" options worked for us either, in fact I think if I bypassed all of those cures and went directly with the copper & hypo in the QT, there would have been fewer fatalities.

Initially I used the Cupramine at a 0.3 level at normal 1.025 salinity just to get the white spot to die off (and during this time we lost most of our fish) then I gradually lowered the salinity to 1.009 with no added copper. (once we got here, there were no more spots and no more fatalities)

What I have noticed with Copper treatment is that all angels seem highly sensitive to it, whenever I raised the level over 0.2 (max 0.3) their breathing sped up, and they immediately looked stressed. This was observed with Lemonpeel, Bicolor, Coral Beauty, Semi Circle, Maculosus and Emperor angels.

If I had to do it all over again, I would only use hypo with 80+% water changes. Copper as last option.

Last edited: 4 May 2011
  19. Yuri

Yuri

Just remember when your SG drop your ph also drop and copper is toxic at a low ph

20. magman

magman

seriously true, also all types of copper you have to dose half measure for bath water becuase of the ph drop, and aerate the water that much more.

21. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Good morning all,

Here with the reply from Scott Berke at Ecological Laboratories.

Recent Posts