Treating Apitasia

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Peanut, 9 Mar 2009.

1. Peanut

Peanut

Hi Fellow Reefers

I have searched the threads but can't seem to find anything on this topic.

Can anybody give some advise on treating Apitasia.

I seem to have a small break-out in my tank - and at this rate I might loose one of my soft corals.

I have been looking for a peppermint shrimp, but can't find in Gautend.

Has anybody heard of the lemon juice treatment (apparently you inject into the apitasia).

I know that if you try to pop / break them, they spread.

Tx

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

4. goodisor

goodisor

Howdie,I dint know about the lemon juice theory,but Joe's Juice works for me.You can also just take kalk,apparently its the same as Joe's juice and cheaper.Just inject it into the middle of the aip and it done for.Joes Juice comes with the syringe and the plastic needle.It sounds complicated and difficult,but it is really easy.Just make sure all your pumps are switched off first,you dont want any of your corals getting a direct shot of the stuff......:thumbup:

5. Apollo

Apollo

Hey peanut,

Aiptasia can be treated/terminated as follows:

1. Joe's Juice - Inject directly into Aiptasia
    2. Elimi - Aiptasia from Tropic Marin - Inject into Aiptasia
    3. Peppermint shrimp : Note that not all pepermint shrimp actually take to eating Aiptasia. If you are going to go this route , make sure its a true pepermint shrimp you are getting. Also, you may need to consider "renting" the shrimp to a fellow reefer once he has done the job , as Aiptasia is all they eat.
    4. Kalkwasser - Basically just slaked lime available at any Pharmacy or Dischem. Mix up a paste like consistency with RO water and slaked lime and inject directly into Aiptasia.

I've personally use the Elimi-Aiptasia from Tropic Marin. Costs about R 100 and works like a charm. Injected into Aiptasia and that's it. 2 seconds later the troublesome Aitpasia is no more.

Just a thought

6. tinusb

tinusb

All is fine and well, but also tell him that the aiptasia will keep on coming back, every time - unless you get something that keeps on killing 'em like peppermint shrimp [seldomly available] or a Copper Banded Butterfly [apparently sometimes difficult to get them to eat].

Good luck anyway!
    Tinus

7. moz

moz

From Personal experience I can't recommend a Copper Band, mine refused to eat aiptasia, it would only eat feather dusters and fan worms and no matter what I tried it refused to eat anything else. Joe's Juice worked for me.

8. tinusb

tinusb

Sheesh thanx Moz --- didn't know that :S

So there I sit with this pest now once again too!

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

LOL Tinus - join the club, matey!

10. Peanut

Peanut Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

1. Where can I get Joes juice

2. Do I take a syringe with needle (steel or plastic) attached and inject in mouth of apitasia? Do I physically pierce the membrane in the mouth or just inject between the tentacles?

3. Failing Joes juice, can I use normal commercially bottled lemon juice or does it have to be fresh juice?

Regards

11. tinusb

tinusb

You can use commercially bottled lemon juice too... if you success --- are your services available? You can become the next Mark Shuttleworth! LOL :) Good luck with killing the b@#@$rds.

12. Apollo

Apollo

Peanut,

Joe's juice available from most of the sponsors.

However I would give the Kalwasser option a try. Very inexpensive and basically the same as Joe's Juice. Just get some slaked lime from a chemist , mix with some RO and inject.

You can use a normal hypodermic syringe and needle available from the chemist.
    You must insert the needle into the mouth of the Aiptasia and then immediately squirt . Don't worry too much about how deep it must go. Just insert the needle as far as it goes and then very quickly discharge the syringe. You should see a little white puff coming from the Aiptasia and that is that .
    You need only about 0.5 ml of the solution(or even less) per Aiptasia , so don't use too much. :p

Squirting on the tentacles does not work. You will only cause the Aiptasia to retract at lightning speed. Worst case scenario : The guy gets upset and multiplies. Not a good thing:nono:

Lemon juice : Mhhmmm.... Don't know about that. I have read that some reefers have used this with success , but quite honestly my Aiptasia just laughed at me when I basted them with Lemon Juice. :lol:

Oh yes , and like stated before it is best to turn off your pumps when terminating Aiptasia. ;)

13. Warr7207

Warr7207

Rather don't go the needle route. You will miss more often than not.

If you make a kalk slurry with vinegar and RO and then squirt it into the mouth of the anemone. The kalk slurry will settle all over the creature and dissolve it as it ingests the kalk.

PS: You can defeat Aiptasia. I had a tank with 20-30, haven't had for more than 6 months.

14. Warr7207

Warr7207

Not totally true. Peppermint like all other shrimps are CUC. They will eat anything with the added bonus of Aiptasia.

15. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Warr, that rock i got would need a shrimp the size of a dog to eat the aip :)

16. mnd123

mnd123

Dont try inject the kalk mix, just let it slowly drip onto the Aiptasia or Majano mouth, let it cover the mouth, they do not retract as they think it is food - I have a major prob with Aips and keep them under control with Joes Juice, but will make my own mix as per Warr and give it a bash

Recent Posts