Travelling Fish

Reaction score
I am going down to PE from EL next month and want to go to their LFS while i am there. My question is would live stock make the 3hr trip back to EL if i were to buy anything? What would be safe to buy and how would i keep it safe and as stress free as possible on the trip home?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Yes Kunhardt - it should.

Corals more likely. With regards to fish, you have to most likely have them in a HUGE amount of water, and/or with a battery-operated air-pump.

Will you be travelling by car? If so, you can take an "Addis" type cooler-box, and place the fish in there.....

dallasg

Reaction score
if u get corals, try zip ties a piece of poly to float them upside down in the bag, a little safer

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
if u get corals, try zip ties a piece of poly to float them upside down in the bag, a little safer
Good idea, if you can use a salt bucket and prevent them bumping around inside - so that the corals don't touch each other or the side all the better.

As for fish, again a salt bucket full of aerated salt water is better than the little bag, the lfs shouldn't mind you filling up at the shop if you explain how far you have to go.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, will keep this in mind and take a cooler box with when i go down. will probably stick to corals if i do buy anything as u say probably safer bet for travelling.

Just that our LFS's here in EL are depleted, if there is 4 fish and 5 corals to choose from between them both its a lot.

Reaction score
Good idea, if you can use a salt bucket and prevent them bumping around inside - so that the corals don't touch each other or the side all the better.

As for fish, again a salt bucket full of aerated salt water is better than the little bag, the lfs shouldn't mind you filling up at the shop if you explain how far you have to go.

This sounds like a good idea, whats a salt bucket as such?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, will keep this in mind and take a cooler box with when i go down. will probably stick to corals if i do buy anything as u say probably safer bet for travelling.

Just that our LFS's here in EL are depleted, if there is 4 fish and 5 corals to choose from between them both its a lot.
Actually fish will survive well enough for long distances, i bought a pair of cleaner shrimps and a flame angel, they were in the car for over 6 hours, they all survived well enough with proper acclimatisation.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
If you ask them they will give you a polystyrene cooler and fill the bags with oxygen. They are decent when it comes to that

Reaction score
Actually fish will survive well enough for long distances, i bought a pair of cleaner shrimps and a flame angel, they were in the car for over 6 hours, they all survived well enough with proper acclimatisation.
Good to hear, because a cleaner shrimp is something i may want to buy there, havent seen one here for about 3 months now.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Good to hear, because a cleaner shrimp is something i may want to buy there, havent seen one here for about 3 months now.
I would suggest avoid the shop in The Bridge as well as the one high in Buffelsfontein, unless you plan on doing a fish disease study.

I cant recall anyone that was really happy with their livestock.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
They will require a very slow drip acclimatisation afterwards, the water from the lfs will be ok (not treated with copper or it would kill the shrimps) so you can recycle it, put the bag in the sump and drip from the main tank allowing the overflow to go back in the sump, that way you can keep this method up for a few hours without losing water and keeping the temperature in the bag steady.

Reaction score
I would suggest avoid the shop in The Bridge as well as the one high in Buffelsfontein, unless you plan on doing a fish disease study.

I cant recall anyone that was really happy with their livestock.
You are the second person to inform me to stay clear of the Brdige LFS because of diseases. It looks like such a nice store, they should really look into sorting out this problem. The LFS i had in mind is in Walmer, and apparently they are very good.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
You are the second person to inform me to stay clear of the Brdige LFS because of diseases. It looks like such a nice store, they should really look into sorting out this problem. The LFS i had in mind is in Walmer, and apparently they are very good.
You right the Bridge is a lovely store, it is unfortunate. You'll enjoy the one in walmer is great, not a pretty building but decent stock and livestock.

Reaction score
They will require a very slow drip acclimatisation afterwards, the water from the lfs will be ok (not treated with copper or it would kill the shrimps) so you can recycle it, put the bag in the sump and drip from the main tank allowing the overflow to go back in the sump, that way you can keep this method up for a few hours without losing water and keeping the temperature in the bag steady.
Good idea there, ill keep this in mind for future acclimations as well. :thumbup:

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Good idea there, ill keep this in mind for future acclimations as well. :thumbup:
Inverts are very delicate, by comparison fish and corals need very little acclimatisation i normally drip fish and corals for around 45 - 60 mins making sure the temp and SG are the same before adding to the tank.

It is alwasy good to check when buying fish whether the lfs uses low levels of copper just in case, it is also good policy not to let the bag water into your tank.

Reaction score
Also remember corals need light acclimatisation, for at least a week.

Place corals at the bottom of the tank and slowly raise up the reef, or they can get light shock and expel their zooxanthellae algae

Reaction score
So went to PE this past weekend. And the Walmer LFS was everything ppl said it would be. We have nothing compared to that here in EL. Definately the largest and most diverse stock of fish i have seen. And was nice to see the shrimps had their own tank and werent just dumped in with the fish.

Bought myself the tiniest cleaner shrimp ever, and it had no adverse effects to travelling around PE and back to EL for 6 hrs in a baggie. Nice to finally have a pair, mine has been longing for a friend for months now.

Reaction score
Yes Kunhardt - it should.

Corals more likely. With regards to fish, you have to most likely have them in a HUGE amount of water, and/or with a battery-operated air-pump.

Will you be travelling by car? If so, you can take an "Addis" type cooler-box, and place the fish in there.....

I would have to disagree there Jacquesb fish travel 1000's of km buy air and this can take any where from 6hours to over 20hours packed in a plastic bag with in a polystyrene box with no air pump. I have brought fish from the transki to Durbanand from Mauritius via JHB to Durban tolat time 11hours in the same way with perfect results.

Reaction score
I would have to disagree there Jacquesb fish travel 1000's of km buy air and this can take any where from 6hours to over 20hours packed in a plastic bag with in a polystyrene box with no air pump. I have brought fish from the transki to Durbanand from Mauritius via JHB to Durban tolat time 11hours in the same way with perfect results.
Were the bags filled with oxygen??