Transporting Zoa's

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by tinusb, 24 May 2009.

1. tinusb

tinusb

Hey all!

What is the maximum time zoa's can be transported... I mean, if I take a plastic bag, and put some zoa's in it... how long until I need to place it in my tank? 24 hrs/36 hrs/72 hrs?

Thanx! :)

T

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. animalia

animalia

tinus - It all depends on where you get them - 6-8 hours in a moist environment with only normal air - preferably in a cooler box with a little water and OXYGEN - then much longer - form where to where do you want to transport?

4. tinusb

tinusb Thread Starter

From Durban to Cape Town, next day probably to Windhoek --- yeah yeah I know it's quite a long distance! :)

5. tinusb

tinusb Thread Starter

And no, not by road. By Air!

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Tinus - with oxygen added, they can MOST likely survive for at least 36 hours in a "bag" ;)

7. lIghty

lIghty

Tinus, those things are as tough as nails, I've found a couple loose ones in my bucket once, about 5 days after I had collected, chucked them into the tank and they opened the next!

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I reckon zoa's would survive the trip in a damp shirt pocket:p I mean they survive on our beaches when the tide goes out, they are in no water, direct sunlight, people walking all over them, yet they survive. If I was to transport them on an extended journey I would 'dry' ship them. Put them in a plastic bag with about 10ml water, just enough to keep them moist with a couple of splashes. The idea behind this is apparently there is less chance of the corals sliming up and polluting the water and causing an ammonia buildup, Anthony Calfo encourages this method of 'dry shipping'.

Recent Posts