Transporting fish

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by jaquesdp08, 26 Aug 2009.

1. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

hey, i need to transport fish over the weekend.. can i put the fish about 6 of them in a rubbermaid container the night before the move with an air pump and heater and then travel the next day for 4 hours ??

do i need oxygen while i transport the fish in the car ? or will the waves casued by the road supply enough oxygen.

thanks...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anemone

Anemone

They should be fine for 4 hours without an air pump. How big is the rubbermaid container? At the very least I would cover it with egg crate or a screen so the fish can't jump out.

Will you be able to maintain a reasonable temperature for them during the trip?

4. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08 Thread Starter

yeah the temprature should stay stable depends on what the ambient will be.. it should be around 22 degree's..

5. Boendoe

Boendoe

Should be fine, just don't over stock the container. I normally use a battery operated air pump when I transport livestock form the coast and so far had a 100% survival rate. You can get them form most of the angling shops, cost about R60.00

6. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08 Thread Starter

yeah ill look around to try and get one.but i stay in ladybrand lol quite a difficult thing to find..

7. Drk

Drk

When i drive from the coast i usaully bag mine and seal them in a coolbox for the road i've done this a few time and never had lost any fish. Remember one fish per bag and make sure more air than water. Bag them just before you go. The longest they have hold out was about ten hours no loss. This also minimize the stress on the fish.

Recent Posts