Transporting an anemone

Reaction score
Im going to be transporting 2 anemones, should they be kept separate from each other and fish? Whats the best just bag them separately and keep in a cooler box?

I would say yes separate from each other and the fish.
How long will they be in transport.
Bag them and Cooler box is fine

Ok il keep them separate. jm tearing down a tank and rebuildimg at my place might Take upto 6 to 8 hours in total

Will do. Its a bit stressfull as 2 of them plus about 10 fish. Not sure how i will aerate all of that

I assume will take around 2 hrs to shut down and pack. 40 min driving and 3 to 4 hrs to get up snd running again. Maybe the pros can assist.

You should transport each in separate bags. I would recommend filling some 20L buckets with the tank water and using that for when you reach your house. This way you can place the fish into the buckets with heaters and power heads. If you don't have enough heaters and power heads I am sure here will be a couple of guys who will help.

You should transport each in separate bags. I would recommend filling some 20L buckets with the tank water and using that for when you reach your house. This way you can place the fish into the buckets with heaters and power heads. If you don't have enough heaters and power heads I am sure here will be a couple of guys who will help.
I might have enought heaters but not powerheads.

Will the powerheads not be too powerfull in a small bucket?

The other problem is when i get home i need to tear down my existing tank and rebuild the new tank in the same place as the old tank and transfer livestock.

I dont have a quarantine atm.

Also try collecting all the water that was in the tank (hence the buckets as well). That way when the tank is in place etc. you can just add the old water and it would be less of a system shock to your fish. Your fish will be able to handle lower temps to about 22C but your anemones are a lot more sensitive to temps though.

I ment to say air stones not power heads. The idea is to keep the water temp stable and to create movement in the water for gas exchange.
Ok makes sense. I have 1 airpump that could be split.

Might need to get more buckets

I had fish in 20L bucket's for a week using the same method with no problem. When adding the fish to the buckets try not to overcrowd the fish (there you will need to use your own discretion regarding size of the fish). I would also get maybe 2 or 3 air pumps to help as using 1 pump can be risky.

Last edited:
Also when you have the fish in the buckets (after the transport to your place) just place the bucket lid loosely on just to deter potential hudinies of escaping.

Also when you have the fish in the buckets (after the transport to your place) just place the bucket lid loosely on just to deter potential hudinies of escaping.
That actually makes me feel a bit better. Im going to plan this move properly tomorrow as i do not want any nasty surprises.
I had fish in 20L bucket's for a week using the same method with no problem. When adding the fish to the buckets try not to overcrowd the fish (there you will need to use your own discretion regarding size of the fish). I would also get maybe 2 or 3 air pumps to help as using 1 pump can be risky.

Back
Top Bottom