Transporting a Tank - Help / Advice pls

Surgeon

SPS Freak
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Has anyone transported a large tank between cities?

If so how did you go about this and what did it cost you?

I have been looking at courier companies and furniture removal companies but its really expensive.

Has anyone done this before using a courier or have any suggested companies I should try?

The size of the tank I would be looking at would be in the range of 1.5m to 1.8m long and 1m wide.

Thanks!
Paul

I had Stuttaford Van Lines move my 3m long x 650mm wide x 650mm high tank with the same size sump. They boxed them in wooden crates with padding. No damage on delivery but still nerve wrecking as hell. Still pricey as hell to move. They moved my whole houses furniture and tank etc. for R32000 only +/- 400km's.

How far do you need to move it....
I moved two tanks from brakpan and randburg to a farm outside polokwane. About 400km.
Promised a friend some beers if he helped me and just asked the seller also to get n friend to help
Loaded them on a normal single cap bakkie
Both tanks were 1.8m

OK, not between cities, but from one side of Pretoria to the other.

3.2M tank. On trailer rented from one of these trailer rental companies. Double axle and high sides for furniture. Had 2 sponge mattresses under the tank on one side. Those you use for hiking or aerobics. Almost the same as closed cell foam but a bit softer. The cabinet plus stand in the middle with sump within the cabinet. And the hood on its back end on other side. Everything tied down with ratchet straps. Just watch out for all those speed bumps.

Just do it yourself with a Trailer and drive slow.... especially around corners and watch for potholes.

Hi, I bought my marine tank second hand and moved everything about 100km. I know of a very good marine aquarist I can highly recommend him. My tank is 1,8m x60cm x60cm Contact /pvt me and I'll share his details.

I had Stuttaford Van Lines move my 3m long x 650mm wide x 650mm high tank with the same size sump. They boxed them in wooden crates with padding. No damage on delivery but still nerve wrecking as hell. Still pricey as hell to move. They moved my whole houses furniture and tank etc. for R32000 only +/- 400km's.
Thats's about the price the cheaper couriers are quoting although I don't think that includes packaging. I imagine the furniture movers will have much better packaging. Thanks, I will ask Stuttaford for a quote as Pickfords quoted 5665 and Biddulphs didn't get back to me. The more expensive couriers where quoting around 4600

How far do you need to move it....
I moved two tanks from brakpan and randburg to a farm outside polokwane. About 400km.
Promised a friend some beers if he helped me and just asked the seller also to get n friend to help
Loaded them on a normal single cap bakkie
Both tanks were 1.8m

Would be from Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth

OK, not between cities, but from one side of Pretoria to the other.

3.2M tank. On trailer rented from one of these trailer rental companies. Double axle and high sides for furniture. Had 2 sponge mattresses under the tank on one side. Those you use for hiking or aerobics. Almost the same as closed cell foam but a bit softer. The cabinet plus stand in the middle with sump within the cabinet. And the hood on its back end on other side. Everything tied down with ratchet straps. Just watch out for all those speed bumps.
Good info - thank you

Just do it yourself with a Trailer and drive slow.... especially around corners and watch for potholes.

I would need to rent a car as well as I can't have a tow hitch on mine, also not so keen on driving 1000km there and then back again :(

Hi, I bought my marine tank second hand and moved everything about 100km. I know of a very good marine aquarist I can highly recommend him. My tank is 1,8m x60cm x60cm Contact /pvt me and I'll share his details.

Thanks, Would he do from Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth?

The couriers quote is pretty reasonable....Cost me 5K to pull 2 pieces (tank & sump/cabinet )of 1.6m x 700 from JHB to Durban.
Thing i didn't like about the courier option was how many times was it going to get offloaded/reloaded & potential damage cos of that.
Furniture truck i had visions of things falling on it.
Went for a dedicated load using a local K100 driver i had used before.
With dedicated load you also know when its arriving for lifting team.
All arrived a-ok but the previous nights sleep wasn't a good one

I would need to rent a car as well as I can't have a tow hitch on mine, also not so keen on driving 1000km there and then back again :(
Ah, I misread, thought it was all local.
Ok, don't just get a trailer and do it yourself!

The couriers quote is pretty reasonable....Cost me 5K to pull 2 pieces (tank & sump/cabinet )of 1.6m x 700 from JHB to Durban.
Thing i didn't like about the courier option was how many times was it going to get offloaded/reloaded & potential damage cos of that.
Furniture truck i had visions of things falling on it.
Went for a dedicated load using a local K100 driver i had used before.
With dedicated load you also know when its arriving for lifting team.
All arrived a-ok but the previous nights sleep wasn't a good one

Thanks, valuable info! you have given some more to think about

They guy I bought my house from. Somehow he organized with a trailer company to take a brand new trailer down for them to Cape Town. Stickers was still on the tires.

Loaded a lot of stuff on that trailer, 3 big dogs in the back of the Chrysler PT Cruiser and off he went. Do not want to know what his fuel consumption was. Or how he stopped that trailer.

About 5 months ago I sent an 800mm cube with stand and sump to JHB from EL at a cost of R2500. So roughly double that size i would say about R5000 more or less

Looks like that's about the going rate, It makes buying a 2nd hand tank out of your home town a bit too pricey :(

I might have to try and build the tank myself this time around.

Back
Top Bottom