Transporting a Pin Cushion

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by martinhal, 11 Jun 2009.

1. martinhal

martinhal

Can a pin cushion be transposed for an hour without water?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

:lol::lol::lol: Sorry, it's just the spelling... Cousin... :lol::lol::lol: Correct spelling should be cushion. But no worries. Just gave me nice giggle...

No, I do not think one should transport anything without water. I know that tere are some tidal corals, and not sure if a pin cushion is one of them, but still. Also remember that many corals we buy are not from the ocean, but from other tanks, so they do not know what a tide is...

I would strongly discourage this. Why would you want to transport it without water?

4. martinhal

martinhal Thread Starter

Did notice thye spelling a bit toooo late. Its rather big and would need lots of water to move. Wraped in damp paper perhaps.

5. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Eish, still dicy, espicially if it is a bug specimen. Would be very sad to loose it due to transportation. How big is it? Can't you get a big polystyrine (spelling ? ;)) container and then just get some water in there. I would image if you fill the container so that the coral is at least submerged up to half and then damp paper it might work.

Although I wouldn't go there personally. Ask someone like Lanzo how he'd transport it, maybe he can give you better idea?

6. lIghty

lIghty

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it could probably be done, as long as it kept wet and not in direct sun light, also make sure there is no big temp. changes ( water to air/room temp).

but lets see what the gurus say?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

No, not paper. Here's what I would do...as recommended by Anthony Calfo.

Make sure the coral is closed up (all polyps retracted) then remove it from the tank and put it in a plastic bag with about 2cm's of water and fill the rest of the bag up with wet shredded plastic. Place the bag in a polystyrene container to try and keep the temp as stable as possible.

How this works is that because the coral is not submerged in water it will remain closed (just as if it was exposed at low tide). This way there is less chance the coral will slime up and pollute the water it is in causing an ammonia build up.

Do some reading up on dry shipping and see if this method will work for you.

8. martinhal

martinhal Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Will just use lots of water from tank to be on the safe side of safe. Thanks for the input on the polyps , will make sure they are all retracted .

Recent Posts