transkei trip..

leslie hempel

Professional Aquarist
Reaction score
jeesh what a day, i woke at 3am to go to the transkei on a fish/coral expedition and have only gotten back now.. water was clean and extreely warm but unfortunatley very few juveniles...

we were lucky to get the following

bumble bee shrimp
anthias
canti
yellow boxie
pommie (Rhombus/striatus)
lunula butterfly

i got fright when i was coaxing a shrimp into my bottle and a small pebble by my hand moves..turned out to be a baby stonefish.. i tried to catch it for a friend of mine who collects predators but couldent find him again..both a relief and a worry) what a beautiful little fish.. unfortunatley my battery on my cellphone went dead so there are limited pics... i will post tomorrow or on monday.. more scenery and rockpool shots than anything else....

ok here are some pics
scenery on the road..
131220081515.jpg

131220081523.jpg

131220081527.jpg

almost there
131220081524.jpg

Did you miss the MAD driver and donkey rider?

i do miss my MAD driver and DONKEY JOCKEY!!!! told the story to the guys on the trip down have never heard people laugh that loud!!!

jaques id like to keep it low key although it is a well known spot.. if you ever plan a trip in that direction i will gladly steer you in the right way...;)

i havent been up there for a while as the last time i went there it had been milked pretty badly.. i was pleasantly surprised to see the acro population had recovered.. some of the huge brain corals had been broken off in huge portions but there are alot of little ones that have sprung up.. in general the place is looking very nice.. both a delightful sight and a worry as to our ever increasing water temps.... on that note there has been a drastic increase in the long spine urchins in the man made tiday pools on the west bank in east london.. im sure it is due to the stable warm temperature it enjoys...

I see old Justin Mace is part of your crew.. Went to school with him. We planning a trip up sometime this month. You dive Ndumbi or Umtata river while you were in that area?

dived a river but the others were dirty... Justin was the main instigator for the trip... will be going back soon to see if we cant get the goldies we missed....

all fish survived.. lost a rock of zoos.. got covered with white ****..amonia poisioning..... unfortunatley dident get a chance to fish but i did see some awsome kingis and big spottys during my dive..;).. jaques pm where you think it is? im interested to see if you are right:razz:

Back
Top Bottom