Transkei trip

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by Tim S, 23 Nov 2011.

1. Tim S

Tim S

Hi all,

I'm going on my long awaited return trip to the Transkei coast in December. Staying at the Anchorage and White Clay. As I'm making the trip from Cape Town, I'd like to make it as worth worth while as possible and visit as many cool spots as possible. So if anyone knows of a good spot or 5 to snorkel for specimens, I'd appreciate some info.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

Transkei:biggrin:

4. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

:lol::lol: you can say it again. TRANSKEI

5. Dawie002

Dawie002

I'm planning same trip.

6. Tridan

Tridan

to many spots to mention, the rocks in front of the old hotel used to produce loads of fish, dont know if the hotel opened again.
    Just up the road from you is mndumbi also a good spot. Best advice is pick a rockpool anywere close and be surprised.

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

mdumbi as mentioned has a nice oyster bed in the mouth (approx 70m from the sea) and you can often find a few species there.. higher up the river is a spooky dive and you need to go under overhanking trees and against the cliff face which enhances the eerie feel.. but an extreemly good spot for colection if you can get the feeling that you are being watched out of your mind..

same with Mthatha mouth.. fantastic dive f its clear but also an extreemly eerie river to master.. the island on the durban side is very deep and often produces some prize catches..

make sure you got a 4x4 or you will sleep at the rivers edge untill help arrives should it rain.. mdumbe is a little more user friendly..

DO NOT GIVE IN TO THE BARTERING TACTICS OF THE LOCALS FOR TROPICALS FOR SALE. NO MATTER HOW RARE THE sPECIES ON OFFER!!!

They essentially RAPE this coastline to catch a simple goldie to make R70.. and believe me they know the price of fish...

enjoy and be safe...

8. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

When you going and where you staying? Maybe we can get together one day?

9. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

Yes I dived there 2 years ago, and what a fantastic place for tropicals but all I found was a Wimple (Heniochus), but yes I was constantly looking for the Jonny-up-tails if you know what I mean..

10. Dawie002

Dawie002

@Tim S We are leaving ct on the 2 Dec, so will prob be there on the 3rd, and on our way back from Natal, I want to spend some time there, we need to be in Natal on the 10 Dec for a wedding. We can stay longer, as we have no plans in concrete. Would be cool if we can do some collecting together. PM me with your details.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. Dawie002

Dawie002

I caught a lion fish in the gonubie mouth last year:thumbup:

12. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

Hi Dawie, we only arrive the day before Christmas and leave by about the 7th Jan. Looks like we'll mis each other.

13. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

Posting from T'kei. Been raining every night with brown rivers. Anyway been here 3 days and have 1 goldie, cleaner wrasse + 2 coral banded shrimps (boxing) and some other odds + ends.

14. salty dog

salty dog

Nice collection. What are you doing with them while on holiday?

15. salty dog

salty dog

Oh and if the cleaner wrasse is not eating then good luck. Not being negative. I have just found that with wild caught ones they either eat or they don't.

16. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

I have one at home from 2 years ago living it up like a king. You just need to provide food small enough for his tiny mouth.

17. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

Been raining for past 5 days and rivers coming down with chocolate water. Not nice at all. Hope it clears soon.

18. Dawie002

Dawie002

Where did you collect?

19. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

The day you have to come back home is the day the sun will shine and the water clears up.:p

This always happens to me. Hope you have better luck than me.:thumbup:

20. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

Well the rain has ended and the mud has started to dry. The water between Mtata & Ndumbi rivers is brown. Presleys is clean but no fish! Bummer. Ag well, we'll try Mtugatie tomorrow.

21. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

good river, watch out for the locals.. the bothas .. they will let your tyres down if they see you catching tropicals there.. and get you soo paraletic you will forget your way home.. assuming you make friends :)

and if it has been raining i wouldent attempt that road with a 4 x 4 or landrover unless you want to stay an extra few days.. i learnt these lessions the hard way..

:)

Recent Posts