Training fish caught in rockpools to eat prepared foods

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by danimal, 12 Apr 2010.

1. danimal

danimal

Hi guys

Had a good weekend where I caught several really cool specimens. Among those are a doublesash butterfly and a semicircle angel (he might be a koran/old woman, not 100% sure). The semi is doing very well, I have noticed him taking a few nips at my pavona coral which had closed up. He doesn't seem interested in any of my softies (yet!)

How do I train him to not eat corals? Has anyone had any success in this area? He's a real beaut so I don't want to part with him if I can.

Second question is on the doublesash - he is very healthy and fat, but has anyone had any success with these? He sniffs at my homemade brew (bloodworms, krill, mysis, nori, garlic all blended together) but I haven't seen him take any.

Last question - there were a few stunning racoon butterflies that I didnt have time to pursue, would love to get one next weekend if I can. What are your experiences/opinions on these?

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

I always hear that wild fish are generally more aggressive than those raised in a tank

4. brentv

brentv

All these fish you are catching are awesome little guys problem is they are not really gonna do well in a mixed reef tank, especially if you start investing in lps and sps species. I see loads of them diving but you gotta weigh up your options... pretty fish ...... or ......pretty corals!:whistling:

fish on the coast we are seing at the moment that are in quite an abundance that would do well in a mixed reef are your leaf wrasse, dolphin wrasse, convict surgeon, pyjama surgeons, goldies, and the likes. Otherwise option 2 have a reef tank and a 'fish' tank! ... trust me I also have this dilemma!!!:razz:

5. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

haha, but let's be honest - it's a cool dilemma to have!

brent I see you catch a fair number of goodies yourself - maybe we should joing forces sometime? I'm keen to check out the diving on the south coast!

6. magman

magman

Bloodworm is a good one, I don't know why and heard it is not the most nutritious, but it does help newbs get eating, I sump mine and the goldies and fish in the sump help entice others to eat, also fresh fish eggs, fresh muscle. I have found that feeding less but more often helps.

7. brentv

brentv

yeah good plan we can do a couple of secret spot swops... just don't tell anyone!!! haa haa haa:lol:

8. Tim S

Tim S

Hi Daminal,

My semi was the size of a finger nail when I cought him in January. He used to wonder around the tank pecking on algae nly. He would not take any flake r prepared fod until one day I put in some blodworm. He went beserk and ever since that day he eats anythng. Fakes pelets, etc. Myne doen not peck n the corals either so double yay

The double sash (marleyii spelling?) wont d well in reef range water temp. Him and all his butterfly cousins will peck at corals non stop. Most annoying.

Recent Posts