Trading UP!!

and two heaters... (couldn't get one rated for a 180 gallon tank).

20324bc8e11e293c3.jpg

So, as I wrote earlier the tank and cabinet will not be here for a few weeks. Next, I'm going to get the sump tank so I can use it for the transfer to move the old tank.

I know dude. I opened that box and tears came to my eyes!! :biggrin: It's like 3 times bigger than the one I have for the 55 gallon tank, but then again it should be because the new tank is more than 3 times the size of the current one.

Nice skimmer that, I also want one :p

AWESOME skimmer, Scott! Congrats mate! you will really be happy with the performance! Believe me!

What are those Korralia's rated for? And how many do you have?

They are rated for 3200 l/h and I have 3 of them. Also, the plan for the old tank is to set it up in the basement and use it to mix new water and also for a QT when needed.

Got him to help out with an algae bloom (result of overfeeding the corals). He looked so fat and healthy at the LFS I figured I'd get him now while he's still in good shape. He seems very happy and at home... started picking at algae within minutes of being introduced into the tank.

Keen to see your new system develop, LA !
Great looking fish, that new Tang.

One concern though, is that Lobster of yours not a little dangerous from a fishkeeping point of view? I suspect he/she may be the cause of some of your stock losses.

Keen to see your new system develop, LA !
Great looking fish, that new Tang.

One concern though, is that Lobster of yours not a little dangerous from a fishkeeping point of view? I suspect he/she may be the cause of some of your stock losses.

No I don't think so... it's a purple reef lobster. Reef safe and VERY shy. Hides most of the time and I've only ever seen it take pellet food. It's actually less aggressive than the Sally Lightfoot crabs.

No I don't think so... it's a purple reef lobster. Reef safe and VERY shy. Hides most of the time and I've only ever seen it take pellet food. It's actually less aggressive than the Sally Lightfoot crabs.

Hey, Jack the Ripper was also shy and used to hide in dark places:lol:

Hey, Jack the Ripper was also shy and used to hide in dark places:lol:

haha, good point.

So, quick update... tank still has not arrived yet, expect it in a couple of weeks. To get ready for vacation, I set up an auto top off today on the old tank. Used the 10 gallon QT tank which fit perfectly under the existing cabinet. Got controller and small pump. Tested it and it didn't work AT ALL! :(

Went back to LFS and exchanged it for a new one and now all seems to be working great. I have 2 weeks before vacation so I thought I'd set it up while I'm still here so I can monitor it for a while ... just to be sure. Also got an auto feeder. Still tweaking that to make sure I have it set right.

Oh, and new tang is doing well. Seems right at home, healthy and fat. i plan to use the auto top off in the new tank so all is coming along.

New tang has gone through a bout of white spot. He's still eating and fat and other than darting around the tank some he doesn't seem too bothered by it. Eating a LOT by the way. Anyway keeping him happy and not going to move him out and stress him more. All others in the tank are clear of spots so going to have some patience and not panic this time.

WOW that skimmer is a monster!!!:thumbup:

Awesome little gold rim you have there, great to know he is doing ok! The white spot come and go just let him be and don't stress him out. I also see if there is a cleaner shrimp in the tank the spots dissapear quickly. I don't know if it is because the shrimp eats the parasites or maybe just because the tang gets an anti-stress treatment...

Good luck with the wait this is by far the most irritating part. You know you have it and you know it's on the way but you an't see it yet...

Yep, eating great and spots disappearing. First wave was just a few, then they went away. Second wave was many. Then they went away. Now they're mostly gone ... just a couple here and there. The pellets are vitamin enriched. Try to feed more times a day but smaller portions to keep strength up. So far so good.

New Tank should be here in a couple of weeks. Auto top off is the most AWESOME thing... should have done that years ago. Getting anxious.

So update... motorcycle trip was AWESOME, but came home to a very sick Tang. He obviously had stopped eating; was very thin and bad color. Tried to entice him to eat but he wasn't going for it. Put him in the sump which seemed to help some, but sorry to say he didn't make it, the white spot got the best of him. :(

Still waiting for the new tank to arrive. Went to LFS last week and they said two more weeks. The wait is driving me nuts. Still looking and collecting peripheral equipment. Was going to do a 75 gal tank for sump and add partitions myself. Ran across this ... what do you think? Larger one measures 36 x 36 x 16 x 15. I'm thinking third from the top (on the left); big enough center for a DSB?

20324c0b9ae7b1d01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom