Toughened glass, anyone use it on a tank?

Reaction score
It need sto get cut to size before it gets toughened.

As for the answer to your question I looked on the Net and the majority opinion is that it does scratch easier than regular glass.

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I tend to lean toward it doesn't scratch easier. I'm thinking of glass top tables. They are all made from toughened glass and I am yet to see one with a scratch. Just a hunch, I might be wrong.

Reaction score
Surely if its toughened then it`ll be more likely to smash into a million pieces if accidentaly hit with something much like a car windscreen?

Reaction score
That is true and a problem, but it is also 5 times stronger than alealed (normal) glass, the idea being that if you make it strong enough, that will never happen.

I also heard that when it scratches the scratch goes white, not nice.

Thanks for the input guys, I have decided to go with 2 x 12mm float, laminated together, giving me a very safe tank. Safe enough even by engineering standards not just the very flimsy standards we as aquarists tend to adhear to.

I do not want any more water on the floor, I'm over that kind of exitement.;)

Reaction score
What some people do (and I would too on my next tank) is to use toughened glass for the bottom panel and regular on the sides.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
guys being someone who worked with these materials im sure i can shed some light on this... thoughened glass is normal float glass baked to a specific temp and then slow cooled.. to my knowledge this is done a few times and the cooling is the thrick....

further more if its abused like in the case of a table top it will scratch just like any other glass.... there is a very slight distortion due to the baking pricess but nothing noticable to the human eye...

it cannot be cut as it will shatter but is stonger...... as for laminated glass id be careful as they are esentially weaker than normal glass.....

think about a laminated 12.38mm glass is 2 x 6mm paneds stuck to a .38 sticky surface (=12.38) which gives it more play.... id rather go for a solid piece of glass... it would be structurally more sound....

the thing that happens with laminates is that usually one of the pieces break....

obviously the dimentions will determine the pressure...

i hope this has helped..

shot les
ex-pg glass employee....

Reaction score
Thinking of building a concrete tank, and got a piece of glass for it, 3m x 900mm x 40mm, yes 40mm thick! not sure if its toughened, would I need bracing or do you think its strong enough?

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy "already cut to size and then toughened" glass for a 5 ft tank at a bargain. Size is 1500l x 700W x 600H.
All the sides except the one small side and the bottom is toughened. So I can make a full width overflow or drill holes. I read this thread, but there isn't really a verdict out yet yes or no. I just want to know is it better to use for a tank than normal glass or the same? As long as it's not worse :p

What do you say Leslie? Should I go for it?

Reaction score
my bf used toughend glass on a fresh water tank and it is 180cm by 67cm by 67cm by 6mm and it has worked fine for the last 7 years

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
the reason for toughened glass is so that there is less injury to people when or if the glass is broken as it is used for shop fronts occasionally and readily used as balistrading, it can take quite a knock (i have run into a piece myself) but its not supposed to form sharp shardes when broken, it will break into millions of tiny pieces rather than sharp bug pieces. the main deterent on not construction a tank out of it is an ever so slight obscurity in the glass due to the tougheneing process (not really visible to the naked eye) and the main reason being the cost.

Toughened glass also has the advantage of being able to take a fair amount of heat (in ecess of 400degress but i stand to correction) and is this used in pie ovens and to cover solar panels.

RiaanP

Reaction score
Leslie, in your words are hidden what happens to toughened glass when it breaks.
It shatters to millions of small pieces that can not cut you.

And all the water will be on the floor in 1 second. Full pane that cracked will be gone. Rocks substrate corals fish everything in one hugh surge on the living room floor. Plus side: you do not even have time to panic.

Where normal glass tends to crack, and stay in place leaking water. Giving you time to panic and react. Yes it will be sharp. But unless you put a cricket ball through the glass and it is a crack because of pressure it will have a straight crack. Stay in place having a nice waterfall out the side for a few minutes.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
OK, so the best would be to avoid it rather. Pity as I could get all the glass panels already cut and toughened for a 5ft tank 1500L x 700W x 600H for a R1000 :(

and they sayd they'll cut all the euro bracing as well. It was cut for a customer and he never pitched to pick up. They just wants the cost of the glass back which has been standing wrapped for a year now.

Reaction score
My tank has toughened glass all round.10mm 2000 x 500 x 1000, wen i was cleanin the front glass the magnet had a piece of crushed coral, as i swiped i heard the scratching sound, wen i looked at it, it was a tiny hair line if u really really had to look at it real hard (that was the hardest it was ever scratched), it has taken a few rock falls wit the lr. Even wen i clean the glass did pieces of crushed coral go between the magnets i dont stress, So compared to normal glass it's doesn't scratch easy IMO. If a glass is toughened u'l know wit the smoothe outline (10mm thickness part) well that's what i was told.