Totally Noob!!!! :)

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Immo, 9 Feb 2011.

1. Immo

Immo

Hi guys...

I was wanting to start a new tank and have no experience in marine fish..

I had a look @ a nice size tank @ Natures Pet Land... +- 180l 4ft tank @ R4500, with a cabinet...

When i spoke to the guy there, he said that there was no need for a sump, all I had to get was a +- 300l canister filter or something like that. IS THIS TRUE????

Thanks in advance

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Boegie

Boegie

Very welcome. He just wants to sell you a canister filter. No, its not needed. Better to go for a sump to hide all your equipment such as the skimmer, heater, etc. And its better to use a deep sand bed (DSB).

4. Boegie

Boegie

And I would like to add, the more you learn, the more you would find out that a skimmer is the most important piece of equipment.

5. ChrisNell

ChrisNell

I was at the same point some time back. Had Discus for a long time and thought I could chuck them out and chuck some seawater in and there we go.

I got a sponsor to add an overflow to my display tank, and to builld me a sump. The whole filtration approach is different - canisters for fresh water, sump with skimmer/deep sand bed for marines.

6. Immo

Immo Thread Starter

Thanks guys....

Well he did mention that i would need a skimmer @ well....trying to sell me Jebo Skimmer for R499 and i have no idea the name of the canister thingy he wanted to sell me for R1500

7. crispin

crispin

hello immo and welcome to masa, nice to have you join :)

180l tank is quite small for a marine tank (mainly because many of the fish we like to keep need alot of swimming space so you might be limitting yourself with a smaller tank, although that depends on what u want to keep :)) and for that price it sounds a little expensive to be honest. for example you could find a 800l tank with sump stand and canopy for around the same price, although that is second hand.

No you dont HAVE to have a sump. but trying to run a mixed reef with sensitive corals withouit one is ALOT harder and demanding. personally id never go for a marine tank without a sump, even if its just for the chanmce to hide equipment like reactors and heaters and decent skimmers in.

yes it can be done, but NO its not easy!

as for a canister filter as the primary filtration (if i understand the pet shop guy correctly) i feel thats not going to work and will giev you raised NO2 amnd NO3 levels over the long run. I think he might have freshwater experience that doesnt translate that well to marines.

Jaco Schoeman likes this.
  8. Jeann1

Jeann1

welcomeani

9. robertkukla

robertkukla

Welcome To MASA, IMO you will need a sump, there are many ways do set the sump up, if you give us a indication on what you want to keep, like fish only or mixed reef, the gurus will give you a hand

10. Q89

Q89

:welcome6:

As the other members said, a sump is better when it comes to keeping marines. And a good skimmer is a must, and if you are going to keep corals, you need good lighting as well(T5 or MH)

11. gaboon

gaboon

Look in the classified section here, there are some great deals on 2nd hand tanks as well as hardware.

12. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Crispin - WOW, I am proud of you!!! A year back this would have undergone serious admin sensoring... I am really impressed!!!

But to the noob - yes, crispin is right on the ball here...

you should understand that a sump might set you back R500 as an example, where a canister filter will set you back R1500 - so which would you sell to put food on the table...;)

You are at the right site though, as I also started out with your type of setup, and the guys here are really good and experienced at this, so please just keep on asking and learning.

And do not ever buy on impulse, as 9/10 times your gut feel was just gatro...:tt2:

Enjoy the ride though - this will blow your mind as time goes by - trust me...

13. Immo

Immo Thread Starter

Thanks guys

I intend on keeping a mixed reef.

i was looking @ a +- 500l tank....

spoke to the guys from northlands pets and natures pet source here in durban.

they both told me that i dont need the sump..... i am now highly lost and confused.

PLEASE HELP

14. rakabos

rakabos

You dont NEED a sump same as you dont need to wear shoes, but its BETTER IN THE LONG RUN ;)

And like the guys said its a great place to stow your heaters and filters etc.

Not too mention the benefits like nutrient export using a sandbed in the sump and macro algae which absorb nutrients

15. robertkukla

robertkukla

well said :thumbup:

16. mandarin

mandarin

They are sales orientated, IMO no marine expierience at all.

17. rakabos

rakabos

Well yeah if they say u dont need a sump you should tell them to come here and explain to us why a sump isnt a good idea ;)

Trust the advice you get here, im glad i did when i started out

18. Evo R

Evo R

:welcometomasa2:

19. Muz

Muz

There is no need to be confused, it is quite simple.. if you don't build a marine tank the right way, have a sump and the right equipment it will mean that in a year or so you will dump all the equipment you have forked out big bucks for ( like a cannister filter ), collect it all in a box in your garage, then go out and buy the right stuff.

We call this school fees !! you will pay to be educated.

I would carry on researching, you are going about this the right way, you are learning before you buy.. this will save you a lot of money and heartache and will ultimately keep you in the hobby.

To be honest the best way to learn is to visit a reefer, look at the setup and ask questions. i don't think you will find many okes on this forum who are only running a cannister filter.

A marine tank needs to have certain elements to stay stable, the stability you provide your water will make for good fishkeeping.

What you have to ask yourself is 'what is a skimmer', 'what is a deep sand bed" , this will intraouce you to the water elements like nutrients, phosphates etc then research what they do.. then you make the choice on a cannister filter or a sump.

Happy reefing dude, and always ask questions, it is the only way you learn.

Muz

20. KeeganP

KeeganP

Hi Immo
    Welcome, I am from Durban as well and visited that pet shop, and They also wanted to sell me a external cannister.... And I asked the exact same question... simple answer is, No you do not NEED a cannister but you do NEED a good skimmer.
    the cannister is more of a extra "want" than a "need" so if your tank doesn't come with a filter and you not getting a sump, an external canister and a good hang on back or internal skimmer will be good, but like the rest say, a sump is also just as important.
    I suggest you have a read here Starting With Marines - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

and do much much more research than rushing into marine.... I wish I did more research before I bought my first tank.

Regards

21. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

I ran a 4ft once with no sump and canister, it didnt end at all well !

I would suggest you contact George (just look in the sponsors section under TUNZE) he is also in the dbn area.

These things take time, so be patient, look around on the forum at all the tank build threads and get some ideas from there. Get a sump that has roughly the same footprint as the tank, then you can have a large first compartment to allow for skimmer upgrades, you will also have a large dsb and then a relatively small return chamber which should be big enough to house your return pump and 2 or more reactor pumps, even if you dont have the budget to get everything you need right away it is nice to add stuff without worrying about space and so on. If you do things right from the start it will be relatively easy, and atleast you found this site before you bought anything which is going to save you some bucks.

So in short, get someone to build you a custom tank and sump, those "plug and play" tanks rarely workout as most of them are designed for fresh water aquariums (excluding the red sea tanks).

Link to Tunze`s sponsor page --> Tunze SA - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    And a link to The Water boy where you will be able to find some of the better equipmnet --> The Waterboy - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Last edited: 11 Feb 2011
Recent Posts