Total beginner needs advice.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by shawn5643, 30 Jan 2012.

1. shawn5643

shawn5643

Hi all.

I have been bitten by this saltwater bug!

I am a total newbie when it comes to marine tanks although I have been keeping tropicals off and on for the past couple of years.

I have acquired a Boyu MT-50 (80l) tank at a great price and intend to use it for my marine tank. I intend to keep Live Rock, 2-3 Invertabrates and hopefully if all is well after 3 months, 2-4 fish (Goby's and Clowns).

I understand that the current lighting will be totally inadequate for marine fishkeeping.
    Can I add LED lighting to supplement the standard lighting and if so what specs am I looking at, considering the environment I want to create?

Is a protein skimmer a absolute necessity? I want to do this properly, and accept that it will probably be at least 3 months before I can stock any fishes so there will be no eccessive loads on the system.

What is the absolute bare essentials that I will need? - Substrate, test kits, additives, etc?

Kind Regards.

Shawn

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome. :)
    Not really, they do offer a kind of safety net, especially on smaller tanks as they can help if something goes wrong, they are highly recommended but if you keep up with water changes and good husbandry then no, a skimmer is not an absolute necessity in nano tanks, but nice to have. ;)

RO water to mix with the salt
    RO water to top up evaporation, do not use tap water.
    Heater
    Very fine sand, like sea sand, not coarse crushed coral.
    Live Rock
    Internal pump/powerhead.

I think that's about it, you then need to read up on the cycle, which can take 4 to 8 weeks roughly before you can add livestock, or if you're feeling adventurous you can look into using bacteria and other special additives that help to speed up the cycle, but you need to read and understand that before doing it.

5. crispin

crispin

welcome to masa and the wonderful world of marine tanks:)

congrats on your first tank too, nice little tank to cut your teeth on, although with its small vollume you will need good dilligent husbandry techniques to keep it pristine and thriving. But thats easy, its just habit in the end.

Viper has given you good advice above so I'm not going to re-answer, other than to add that i agree one can get away without a skimmer, but for the money and the work they do i personally would always try have one.

dont stress too much about lighting and stuff now. Use what you have and get used to keeping the tank. The lights that come standard in Buyo arent great true, but they will suffice to light the tank for many corals (zoas, mushriooms etc) and your fish and inverts. Id sugest replacing the bulbs if you arent sure how old they are, but thats all for now. Let the tank cycle, learn how to keep it and then when you think you want sps and clams and nennies you'll be ready to get a bigger tank not upgrade the lights:)

6. crispin

crispin

get a refractometer (measures SG and is invaluable)
    Nitrite test kit
    Nitrate test kit
    perhaps ammonia.

for the size tank you have most micro ellements (MG, Calcium etc) will be replaced by decent water changes done regularly so I personally wouldnt test for them.

7. BarryG

BarryG

Hi Shaun5643

I have a 28G nano running for 6 months now. It has a small std skimmer that appears necessary if u look at the gunk it skims. I agree with all the comments on water changes. I do a weekly 10-15% change and all seem to be going well. I only recently added some sps and had to add some calcium for a few weeks. Seems stable now. I also have a small 30 liter tank running with softies and two damsels without a skimmer and its doing really well for 4 months now.

In summary, I firmly believe if u commit to weekly waterchanges and filter cleaning u can keep almost anything.

I can highly recommend upgrading light to some LED's. I bought 2 30cm vertex LED's from sponsor TSR which really brought my tank to life. They are expensive but can be joined together should you upgrade later and be used as a longer light fixture.

Good luck brother

Recent Posts