Total Alkalinity Confusion

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Perhaps you can help me out before I tear my hair out!

I am somewhat confused by different alkalinity readings.
I have a Seachem test kit which uses the no. of drops to determine total alkalinity.
According to the test it takes 6 drops for the colour of the solution to turn from blue to yellow. i.e. total alkalinity = 3 meq/l = 8.4 KH.

However,
and this is where the confusion sets in, my local, and very respected, supplier used an Elos test kit which indicated a total alkalinity of only 4.5 KH.

My leather corals seem fine but I need to be 100 % sure.

Could you perhaps give me some advice on what I might be doing wrong or if it is the test kit?

Any advice welcome!

Cheers,
Costa.

Hi Costa! It seems as if either you or your supplier has a faulty test kit. I suggest checking your Alk with another reefers test kit to determine who's is right and who's is wrong.

Thanks Mekaeel!

Would the soft corals show any signs of stress if my alkalinity is low e.g. 4.5 degKH?

Costa, there is answers to your questions in the links I posted. It is really a must to read the links. It helped me a lot wrt Alkalinity

It is rather easy to solve this. You can determine your alkalinity from only knowing your pH accurately, and also knowing whether your tank is at equilibrium with the surrounding air and assuming you do not have excess CO2 in your house.

Back
Top Bottom