Torch,zoas,blasto and flow???

Discussion in 'General Coral Care' started by Charl_Stanhope, 8 May 2012.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Hey reefers

How much flow can a torch coral,blasto and zoas handle. I added an xtra 1000l/h to my tl550(because of sps) so Ive now got 4800l/h flow excluding my return pumps witch is another +-4500l/h. I just added the flow today. The problem is that there is now a little xtra flow that might affect the torch(its indirect flow and none of my corals have got a powerhead blowing directly on them) and the blasto. Can I do damage in a day or two or will I see the corals sulk before I do damage to them. If i notice them sulking I will reduce the flow again.How do you determine what too much or too little flow?

Last edited: 8 May 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Torches can handle more flow than other Euphyllia species, but I'd still place it in a lower flow area. Blastos and most zoas can handle big flow without a problem.

You'll see by their expansion if they're getting too much. Continued low expansion and I'd adjust things.

4. scubaninja

scubaninja

Yeah with blackadder on this one. Too much flow and the flesh will actually rip off the skeleton. But you'll see these effects long before its too late to correct them. Maybe direct the powerhead towards the surface and slowly turn it back down to normal judging how much flow is too much by the polyp extension of your LPS. The change in polyp extension from OK flow to too much will be immediate. So if you're paying attention you'll know before any damage can be done ;)

5. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Agree with LB and the ninja. I monitor my lps when playing around with flow. I can easily see when its too much or too little. You can also see at the base of the coral and by its expansion.

Last edited: 8 May 2012
  6. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

Thanx guys. Ill keep an eye on the lps. They look ok. They still extended. Not as much as before I added but I will see if they get use 2 more flow. Its not a lot more but its there. Will see how it goes. Would be awesome if my sps and lps corals like the flow.otherwise I'm afraid ill have to swop the lps for some sps corals.

7. Mc

Mc

Charl I have 8000LPH in my tank and although it wasn't directly on my torch I found the torch to be quite happy.

8. Charl_Stanhope

Would you say that the torch sulked for a bit and then got use 2 the flow or was it fine from the word go. Ive been running the extra powerhead and it seems to only be the torch sulking a bit. All other corals are loving the xtra flow.especially the sps. Bu ti will keep an eye on the torch.

9. Mc

Mc

Mine didn't sulk at all, but I always had a high flow so it got used to it from the start.
    I think as long as you aren't blasting it directly it should get used to it.

10. 2balive

2balive

I run >50x turnover in my tank and mine does well as long as it is not direct and to laminar. Mine really likes chaotic flow.

11. Charl_Stanhope

I added th xtra powerhead,torch sulked for a bit. But got used to it and is actuallly looking better.awesome.

12. Mc

Mc

Thats great.:thumbup:
    I added a MP10 to my tank yesterday and my BTA was sulking a bit hopefully he also gets used to it.

13. Charl_Stanhope

I'm sure they get use to it as long as they don't get direct flow.think that's the "secret"

Recent Posts