Torch looks hurt on one side

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Can you maybe tell me what is wrong with my torch. All my other corals are thriving and so are the other heads on the torch. only the one is closed up and the tentacle things look thin. Here is a pic of the torch. It happened after one of my powerheads dislodged from the glass and created a bit of a sandstorm. My cleaner shrimp seems to be going to the coral from time to time running over it.

Today:censored:

picture.php

This is what it looked like before the sandstorm(2 days ago)
picture.php

Last edited:
If the powerhead came loose and blaster that head with a powerful stream, then it could also have caused the flesh to tear or be cut against the sharp ridges of the skeleton. If its tissue damage then the head will most likely not make it. But it will not affect the rest of the colony.

If the powerhead came loose and blaster that head with a powerful stream, then it could also have caused the flesh to tear or be cut against the sharp ridges of the skeleton. If its tissue damage then the head will most likely not make it. But it will not affect the rest of the colony.

if it dies,should I cut it from the rest of the colony or just leave it and it will sort itself out.

It does look a bit damaged but will most likely pull through. Just keep an eye on it.
If it does stat rotting and spreading to other heads, then cut it off.

Torches do this often. It should come right after a day but if it lasts longer then you can become concerned

The main thing with these corals is to watch for brown jelly disease, if that starts cut that head off immediately as it is highly contagious.

I just had a close look at it and it looks like its got some brownn jelly coming out of it. I dont know if its just my imagination or what. Its so little. should I just cut the head off. I dont mind loosing the head but dont wanna lose the whole coral. Can I cut the head and then just leave it in my tank on the substrate and see if it will recover.

Brown jelly is exactly as it sounds its a brown slime that will eventually cover the head. To remove the head, simple pliers or side cutters do the job, just cut it off as far down the stem as possible. It may also be that that head is splitting into 2 which is a good sign. You have to just keep an eye on it.

Well, sometimes people and even importers and LFS's mistake other shrimps like the Camel shrimp (Rhynchocinetes durbanensis) and the Catalina cleaner shrimp (Lysmata californica) for a peppermint shrimp. A true peppermint shrimp is the Lysmata wurdemanni. And yes, seeing that they eat aiptasia, they can eat other corals too. So depending what you've got, very likely.

Well, sometimes people and even importers and LFS's mistake other shrimps like the Camel shrimp (Rhynchocinetes durbanensis) and the Catalina cleaner shrimp (Lysmata californica) for a peppermint shrimp. A true peppermint shrimp is the Lysmata wurdemanni. And yes, seeing that they eat aiptasia, they can eat other corals too. So depending what you've got, very likely.

i have got a cleaner shrimp and its been in there for a few weeks already. So it cant be. But it has started running over it. I moved it to the other side of the tank where the shrimp spends least time

Back
Top Bottom