Torch Coral Help!

Discussion in 'General Coral Care' started by Travis1, 7 Feb 2016.

1. Travis1

Travis1 (wilsontravy)

Hi guys,

Woke up this morning to see my one head of my torch coral completly dead over night, on closer inspection, the head is still on the coral itself, however has come out of its housing? Can anybody give me some adice on this? i have had the torch for about 2 months now, in the same spot with the same water movement.

Will attach a picture soon

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Travis1

Travis1 Thread Starter (wilsontravy)

Pics below image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

4. Travis1

The head that came out is the white peice on top of the torch

5. 2una

2una

Can't see too good from the pics but if it was me i'd be worried about it being brown jelly which can wipe out the whole lot real quick.
    If it were me i'd shut off all flow & with 2 nets scoop out the broken off piece....use the 2nd net in case pieces start coming off to catch those.
    Give that piece a smell & if it stinks to high heaven get it out of there & also siphon the head it came from.
    I've had jelly before but the head didn't detach, it just like melted so it may not be the above......maybe play safe till someone else chimes in

Last edited: 7 Feb 2016
    Travis1 likes this.
  6. Afsal

Afsal

I agree with the above , does seem like brown jelly disease ....

Last edited: 7 Feb 2016
    Travis1 likes this.
  7. Travis1

I have smelt the coral, have stopped all additional flow in the tank for now. Coral is not stinking, The parts that have detached from the skeleton are still alive and still out and open. Very weird situation, Can somebody tell me what causes this?

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Is it just one head or multiple heads detaching now?
    It's more than likely a stress related issue, this is common in tanks that have a low Magnesium level, get that tested and if need be increase to about 1250 - 1350.

9. Travis1

Its 1 head for now, a 2nd head has started though, but i did a big water change yesterday, coral is looking much happier this morning, ( i have been lazy on the water change side)so i think it has been due to water quality. i will take a sample of my water to a LFS tomorrow for proper testing.

10. viper357

Definitely get your water tested, stress could be due to a drop in certain water parameters, such as Alkalinity, Calcium or Magnesium dropping. Focus on Magnesium first.

Travis1 likes this.
  11. Travis1

Thanks Viper. Just a quick one, how often should I be doing water changes in a nano? 120l. I hear of a lot of guys on the forum who don't do any water changes at all.

12. viper357

It depends on if you are manually adding supplements to maintain your Calcium, Magnesium, Alkalinity, Iodine etc. levels, also depends on what nutrient removal options you have, such as skimmer, phosphate reactor, bio pellets etc. If you are adding and maintaining all of these without doing water changes then you can lay off on the water changes and maybe just do one every 2 or 3 months. It will also depend on how many corals and fish you have in your tank, if you have a lot of corals, especially LPS or SPS then they will be using up elements such as CA, MG, Alk quite rapidly so you will need to replenish these. If you are not dosing manually then I would recommend a water change every 2 to 4 weeks.

Travis1 likes this.
  13. Travis1

Awesome. Thanks Viper

viper357 likes this.
  14. Travis1

Viper, is there anyway that i can re attach the head that has come out? will it survive outside its skeleton?

15. viper357

Um, not too sure, I have had 2 or 3 heads detach and seemed to live for a few weeks in the tank, I never bothered to try and attach them though as I figured they were going to die. I don't know if they would regrow skeleton? Maybe have a google for "polyp bailout", that is the common name for this occurence, see if you can find any info. I'll have a look a bit later as well.

Travis1 likes this.
  16. Tokolosh 420

Tokolosh 420

i just did some reading based on this , and its new to me n pretty cool to see why . there are afew ppl that have glued bailed out polyp and had them grow as frags with no special treatment . similarities between them were that they glued them to frag plug pretty soon after they bailed . itl be cool to see what hapens since you can follow up n let us know how its going ;) . all of them that were left loose died within afew weeks . I also have a 120lr tank and i do 1 25lt drum every week , i also dose reef fusion 1 and 2 . if u have a tank with a high bio-load id do a weekly change otherwise every 2 weeks is good . good luck bud

17. Travis1

Thanks Viper, I will google it and see what i can find out.

18. Travis1

Ok cool. I will give it a bash.

Recent Posts