Torch and macro green algae

Reaction score
Hi

I lost two out of three heads when I bought my torch three months ago, so I am a bit protective over it. Growing well now, with large extension in the day and even looks like the one head is splitting in three. :)

About a month ago this beautiful (I like macro algae) green algae started growing next to it. The torch seams fine with it, but I am worried that i my hurt it chemically or even damage it machaniclly. Also that if it gets big enough take to much light and flow away.

1. Should I remove it?

2. Any idea what algae this is?

torchwithgreenmarcoalgea.jpg

Algae looks like feather caluerpa. I would remove it but wouldn't worry too much...

Caulepra algae is a great nutrient scrubber but there is thought and certain evidence that the algae can can sexual and wipe out the tank.

In saying this there are loads of reefers running it.

In the states most species are banned, because when they get into the local ecosystems it is very invasive.

Hey guys - that is NOT feather caulerpa - it's bryopsis! It's an ABSOLUTE PEST!

The difference being: Feather caulerpa grows on a shared "stalk" where bryopsis are individual "plants" - each little "feather" you see....

Here's some pics to show the difference:
Feather Caulerpa:
FeatherCaulerpa.jpg

Bryopsis:

Bryopsis+hypnoides.JPG

Jacquesb is 100% correct, it is Bryopsis.

I made the same mistake and thought the stuff was feather caulerpa, but I was wrong and I am still paying for it now... Get rid of it now as once it gets a foot hold it is a real menace.

Do you have a refugium with other kinds of nutrient exporting macro algae?

I agree with Jacques, it looks a lot like Bryopsis algae to me, if it was me I would throw the whole coral away, that bryopsis algae is an utter and total pain to get rid of and can smother your entire tank. Do what you can to remove every trace of it from your tank/coral, but do not do it in the tank otherwise it will spread.

If Dean says it's bryopsis I will take his word for it. He is the Algae Expert! ;)

Thanks, if I take the torch out of the tank, how do i get rid of it on the skeleton.

Really don;t want to kill the coral :(

Len, I got a similar problem, one of my snails is covered in Bryopsis (snail seems fine) I just occasionally give it a "hair" cut. My Bryopsis does not seem to spread, I've had it growing in the same areas for months. Although I do trim/pull and syphon regularly, I don't what to remove my rock to scrub, just to many living things (I like my different types of tube worms) that I would damage.

War on algae

Scrap it off

Yip, i will have to break the coral our of the epoxy and scrape it.

I brush cut it and now it seams invigorated and are growing faster than ever, will soon be on the actual live rock itself.

Is there some thing I can put on the skeleton after i scraped it to make sure it is dead?

Len - Bryopsis usually grows where hidden detritus is leaching phosphates into the direct surrounding water from inside the rock. This could also be detritus that is lying on top of the rock, or coral skeleton (in your case).
Use either a power-head, or a turkey baster to blow a stream of water onto the areas where the bryopsis is growing, you will most likely see detritus (looks like fine dust) coming off and going into the water column.

Len - Bryopsis usually grows where hidden detritus is leaching phosphates into the direct surrounding water from inside the rock. This could also be detritus that is lying on top of the rock, or coral skeleton (in your case).
Use either a power-head, or a turkey baster to blow a stream of water onto the areas where the bryopsis is growing, you will most likely see detritus (looks like fine dust) coming off and going into the water column.

Thanks, I will keep an eye on it, luckily only grew on the coral skeleton and not on the live rock I attached it to.

It started from within the remains of a barnacle, so yes, nice trap for detritus, scraped that off as well know.

Back
Top Bottom