Topups have to be with RO or can I use distilled water??

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but when topping up my nano must I use RO or can I also use distilled water? Reason being so far the closest source of RO is 40km from me, whilst I can easily get distilled water.

Is this feasible?

I recall distilled water is not a good idea, I'll let the experts explain

yip, RO is just a cheaper set up the end result is pretty much the same, double distilled is a tds of 0 i think

Awesome so my dad can just get me distilled water and i'm good to go? :)

i have 2x 100 L drums that was filled with fresh water in 1998 and it is still siting in my store room can i use that water

i have 2x 100 L drums that was filled with fresh water in 1998 and it is still siting in my store room can i use that water
That water would be pretty sterile by now as long as drums were sealed. Water would obviosly need to be aerated during saltmixing

Matt, check the prices though. It might actually be more feasable to drive the 40KM for RO. Not sure really, 'cause I have never bought distilled water, but just a heads up.

Thx galibore, but my dad can get it for free ;)

Hi Matt - just an explanation - some RO units actually have a DI unit attached to it as well. Therefor: RO/DI (Reverse Osmosis/Distillation)....... I know that it is not healthy for humans to consume pure distilled water, where-as RO water is VERY healthy for humans. My RO/DI unit has split outlets - one pipe comes out before the DI unit, and the other pipe comes out of the DI unit. The DI pipe goes to my aquarium topup, and the pipe before the DI unit goes to my fridge (has a water supply built-in)....

That's cool, but there are LFS's in your area that can supply you with RO as well if you need. You don't need to drive all the way to Boksburg 9('m assuming this is what you mean't by 40km).

What is the source of your DI. To be safe just check the TDS before you use it. I would say if it is less than 10 ppm max it is good to use, although lower than this would be better (ideally 0ppm)

Hi Matt - just an explanation - some RO units actually have a DI unit attached to it as well. Therefor: RO/DI (Reverse Osmosis/Distillation)....... I know that it is not healthy for humans to consume pure distilled water, where-as RO water is VERY healthy for humans. My RO/DI unit has split outlets - one pipe comes out before the DI unit, and the other pipe comes out of the DI unit. The DI pipe goes to my aquarium topup, and the pipe before the DI unit goes to my fridge (has a water supply built-in)....

Jacques, the DI in and RO/DI stands for de-ionised, not distilled. Different thing completely.

AFAIK distilled water is purer than RO/DI water, but both are perfectly acceptable. Since making distilled water is much harder (more expensive) than making RO/DI water, we usually buy RO/DI units. AFAIK a lab process is required to make distilled water. The important thing is just that you want water with as much elements as possible removed, so that when you re-hydrate the salt, you only have the ions provided by the salt mixture.

Jacques, the DI in and RO/DI stands for de-ionised, not distilled. Different thing completely.
Sorry Clinton - you're right - my bad.... :blushing:
I thought I was too clever again - I actually knew it - but was misguided ;)

Just check, many auto spares shops sell distilled water for use in car batterys.The funny thing is they all use standard RO equipment but still call the water distilled water.The fact is it`s RO water.

Well when I started a guy close by was selling distilled water for R1 per l for use in truck/tractor batteries...I checked the TDS and it was in the eighties...was a standard RO unit just a bit bigger than mine!

Well when I started a guy close by was selling distilled water for R1 per l for use in truck/tractor batteries...I checked the TDS and it was in the eighties...was a standard RO unit just a bit bigger than mine!
At last somebody agrees with me.Sims you`r my friend for life.

Back
Top Bottom